setting up a Laptop

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
When it comes to drivers "unless it's broke don't try and fix it" comes to mind. Drivers get updated for all sorts of obscure reasons. For example, if an update to the graphics driver solves an issue of "downloading from bluetooth while simultaneously syncing files to a network while using a USB 3 device to transmit to an audiostreamer etc etc" then you just have to say "do I want this" anyway. Drivers bury themselves deeply in the operating system and sometimes the installation packages don't do the best job of removing all the old entries.

So you say it's a new PC. It should all work out of the box with no downloading of drivers needed. Just do the Windows updates only.

Have you tried searching the preinstalled files for a full user manual ? Type Asus etc into the Windows search box at bottom left. Failing that go online and download from the Asus site.

Has it got a lot of "bloatware" installed. In particular is Norton or some other trial security offered. If so it is vital that this is removed correctly (assuming you don't want to continue using it) and that usually involves using the correct removal tool from the vendors site. It's absolutely vital it is done properly as just uninstalling from control panel will not remove all entries. Usually the trial has to be activated and running BEFORE removing.

my only concern with a fresh install is the compatibility of the windows serial from your computer sticker with the cd image you have, as the factory images are OEM and cds are retail, -i had issues before trying to use the code of the sticker(on thinkpads...never on a asus)-

step by step...I would try this:

*it is really useful to have another computer with internet available, to download drivers and consult stuff you may need during the installation.

1st - get ready to spend time and overcome some frustration, installing software is never fun.

- save all -if any- information valuable from your computer on a external drive
- pop in your official intallation dvd (important, do not use internet images...) and make sure bios is set to boot from dvd
- the installer starts on bootup, when asked, delete all partitions (including the recovery...i think it is useless as it contains all the factory crapware...but this is up to you to decide) and let the installer create a new one. (If the drive is very large you may want to create 60gb? system, plus several data partitions...up to you)
- let it install and do the final reboot, and once all the process is complete see what is left to be installed (w7 driver database is very good, so i let the updater to find all my drivers, but for that you first need to be online...usually the lan port is recognized on installation and you can connect to the interwebs rightaway)
- if you can use your lan port, test internet..if ok, close the explorer...go to control panel and run windows update, install the updates (hardware and software) in small groups (20 aprox) to avoid installation errors, once all the software updates,service packs and drivers are updated -i recommend installing every single update available- reboot. Your system should be fully updated and clean, and ready for customization.
- if you have no access, go to the manufacturer page with your backup comp and find the network card or wifi card driver (try installing just the driver for the card, avoid all the "wireless management tools" and similar crap that manufacturers like to include. Once you have internet access...follow the steps i descrived above.

after the system is updated (drivers, security updates, service packs..):

- install windows security essentials (my recommendation, you can use many other options)
- go to ninite or install your apps...and you are done.
- for internet browsing i use firefox with adavare, privacy tools, noscript...

- all the previous steps can take hours so...be patient, also, each person will probably recommend you something different..this is the fun part :p

good luck!

Hello Andrew,

I started a clean Installation with the microsoft iso images of win7. They can be installed uing your license sticker on your Laptop. This is the cleanest Installation that you can think of.
Download the edition you have. Maybe you will be prompted for an activation via telephone (even after a week or so...)

Win7 will download the (generic) drivers it needs after Installation and will be updating for about 3 days.

I bought Win7 professional for the virtual XP Mode. This is a virtual machine in which a install all software I don't need every day, just to keep my win7 system clean.

Hope this helps,

Ulf

I bought new +R dvds to try again to create the recovery disks.
I can't find the AI dvd burner in the programs.
The E version of the Manual says it is in the Window Desktop, But it isn't.
I tried search for "burner" in start programs but got a nil result.
Where do I look for the burner software?
If the new disks don't allow a recovery disk set, then I'll presume the laptop is faulty and return for a refund.

Once I have the recovery disk set, I plan to Format the HDD and use my WIN7 disk to do a clean install.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
You shouldn't need separate burning software to create recovery discs.

One possible problem (I'm a little hazy on this) is that you might only be allowed to create one set for legal reasons and the option to create them may have gone if you have already attempted this.

tbh DVD's are a pain... particularly if you have to carry over to another disc.

I've downloaded the user manual and see you have a recovery partition that allows a full factory reinstall anyway.

If you are still finding your way around with it then try the HDD recovery option. That will wipe the W7 installation and put it all back as new.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I think I would opt for a factory restore using the "F9" at boot option. It's infinitely preferable to DVD's and it may give you the DVD recovery option again (if you really want that). Seems there are three option in the recovery menu depending how you want your HDD partioned.

You can run the HDD recovery process as often as you like.

If I use the installed recovery from that hidden partition it will give me back all the pre-installed software and all the internet searching associated with those unwanted programmes.

I like the idea of a clean install.
But I also want the ability to go back to the existing arrangement, in case I run into some unforeseen problem (that could be as a result of my doing something I know too little about).

If I do get recovery disks and wipe that hidden partition, Can I recreate that partition from the recovery disks, to bring the laptop back to where I am now?

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
OK... now you have (or might have) another problem. If you alter the existing W7 set up by a clean install then that could corrupt (read break) the recovery utility. That's very PC specific so wouldn't like to say either way.

Your best option imo if you don't mind the extra cost is to invest in Acronis True Image as that will allow you to make image backups of your HDD. I use it daily and its the single most important program I have installed.

A clean install is the best way to go but you need to be aware of the drivers you need (graphics in particular) which you will need to get all the functionality back. Webcam etc and perhaps USB3.0 ports if it has them. All will have dedicated drivers and applications.

If your unsure I would go with a normal recovery and try and set it all up as best as possible. The "bloatware" can be stopped from running at startup easily and shouldn't really be an issue.

First install chipset drivers, then graphics, audio. See if there are any other devices that require additional drivers, like USB 3.0, which is used. My X54HR had a CD with drivers. From personal experience I can say Avira is really good AV. Get CCleaner as well, your favorite browser, player etc. In my case FF, foobar2k, VLC. Nowadays usb storage is not expensive, so you might buy one. For last years I am dualbooting Linux Mint which comes with useful apps preinstalled, like Mozilla and Office.So on Win I install only special software that is not available for linux.

I am thinking I will go to a very PC literate acquaintance and pay him to do this for me. He can explain the options I have and safely get the minimum installation done.
He is very into Gaming and is a Member of a group that is right into the innards of what the PC must be able to do to get the job done properly.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
A clean, generic install is your best friend. I've done this many times on many computers from Win95 onward. If you don't know how to do it, then have your friend do it. As Mooly says, the install should have all the drivers you need. You can choose to update them or not, as you see fit.

As for getting bogged down, there are ways to help that. For Windows7 there is a MS utility that allows you to see all programs that launch at start up. You can choose to let them start or not. You'd be surprised at all the useless junk that gets installed as autorun. On WinXP I use program called WinPatrol. I blokes the installation (if I so choose) or autorun, browser redirects and many other things. A wonderful piece of software.

I'll dig up the Win7 util and post it here for you.
EDIT: Here it is. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.