series vented Karlson klam

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think roundover of the aperture would mainly be worth doing from an aesthetic standpoint. Relative cavity depth of a klam is something to consider. For general home or gigging use, a regular K is a more practical item, and GregB' Karlsonator a consideration

Here's a nice example of roundover - - this is the X15 size coupler made by Transylvania Power (and also made by KK Audio, Acoustic Control and perhaps a couple others) - these are very good little Ks judging from my KK-Audio and 115BK Acoustic control. To internally mount a K-tube, the vent would have to split., X15 was introduced as a 2-way system in 1965 with the first model using a wood mini-klam and 3" fullrange as the tweeter. One model apparently had a large vent which carried over to the Transylvania and its close relatives.

hey IG & walters - what are your thoughts on cavity shape, reflector angle/shape and the effects of rounding/curving junctions of sidewall to baffle in Ultra-Fidelity Ks? Also - your thoughts on making an effective small klam?

Transylvania, KK and Acoustic all used steel allthread rods running from the wings through the baffle, then through
the back for braces - that reduced midrange modulation from wing flex. Wood dowels/closet poles are useful too.
EJbyzxM.jpg

here's a "K8" size coupler made by Weltersys's dad and based upon the slit-vent K12 - its pretty good.
-as one can see, its aperture is a bit more open than a factory K8 and the distributed vent
has a lot of area too. I would love to hear and examine something like this with a variety
of reflectors and port placements.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
as far as shape of the baffle and vent area, shaping the sides like a short conical horn could work very well. someone on the kld forum had done this and posted fr charts. I remember commenting that the shape worked very well. it was for a smaller ultra -fi cab type but might work for klam as well. I had a klam with canted sides that did not work well at all. I started thinking about relationship of exit to aperture back then.

walters - - was that IG81's little cardboard K with canted sidewalls? -everything I have use parallel sidewalls with their pitfalls

the couplers below are all pretty good - IIRC, despite Karlson's warning about directly scaling K15 to a 12", that was also good. (The front shelf might be shortened in such a build)

K18 IIRC, 22.5 x 41.5 x 16" - has bent upper reflector, place for K-tube overall volume pretty much like K15. average frequency response, rear choke shelf but no front shelf - subjectively very good - it should do well with a good low morivng mass 15"
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Klam 15 - (have not examined it for system Q - probably could trim off the back chamber by a few inches to advantage
/1921/klam15withtemporaryktubh.jpg[/img]
Weltersys's Dad's "K8" loosely based upon Karlson's slit vent K12 of ~1956 onwards

Acoustic Control 115BK ~X15 in size 27"H x 20.5"W x 13.5"D (without wing recess)) - LF rolloff like K12 - - good performer

klam12
cmbY0Jf.jpg

GregB's Karlsonator in 12" driver form shown here with a Visaton BG2 - its the best I've heard 12LTA and excellent with Nirvana Super 10
2014-05-07121026_zps56b4e3bd.jpg

Last edited:
Toopy had a white kardboard K with trapezoidal footprint giving non-parallel walls but IIRC, there were no measurements. In that thread, XRK971 made a simulation of a Karlsonator type

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...lsonator-0-53x-dual-tc9fds-9.html#post3583585

many years ago, Karlson Speaker Project website's Job Ulfman, proposed a K18 similar to Toopy's speaker but never got it built.

"Cookiemonster" could probably simulate a cavity with aperture

Fulk%20fini%2001-copie.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.