Sensitive Wide Range Open Baffles

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Magnetar said:

I see why it is so important to get good advice and not pay shipping for drivers 'to try' that aren't what you want! Shipping is crazy..

I have used the audax way up -even no low pass and just a super tweeter 6k up, and it was still OK to move about and great sound. Being on an open baffle helps this aspect quite a bit. I think you will like the DE10 and the 18 sound horn, if you want to open up the sweet spot more put a super tweeter on the back panel (or use two de10!) , that is a nice size room, I think you will be happy with the 18 sound dispersion and lack of 'honk' or coloration. It is really a great horn even when compared to ultra expensive stuff. If you crossover at 3.5k I think you'll be fine with the open baffle PR170MO/DE10/18 sound horn

I have seen B&C makes a horn designed for the DE10, it may be a good option too based on the dispersion graphs and it's aspect seen in it's data sheet. I have no experience with it though

Hi Magnetar,

Thanks for your advice. The DE10 is not too expensive and XT120 is not too big/heavy and both fit nicely within my budget. At the moment I have a DAC and a room to build and after that, will target the speaker.

Have fun :D

Hi Mike,
Congrats on another killer system! I'm crushed that this system is better then the WMTMW system, those 21" look so cool. lol However, I haven't been able to order drivers yet so I have options. ;)

One thing puzzles me, FS on the 10" Warrior is 65 hz. Isn't that to high for OB bass?

Regards

"I high passed one of the drivers with a first order network at 1k and the response straightened right out on axis but I lost some output below the crossover point. They also don't beam as much and the 'sweet spot' opened up."

Mike - thanks for that tip. I did a rough calculation for 4ohms @1.5khz, and put a 24mf cap (it was handy) on one of the PR170M0 drivers in my sealed box setup and the same thing happened. The lost output wasn't all that noticable, but I'm gonna squeak it down a little more just to hear the difference. 100% improvement as far as I'm concerned and something to remember. :)

Hi Magnetar

Have you tried the Cabasse TW5 High Output Tweeter and Cabasse DOM8 High Output Midrange units yet? Both are rated at 110dB/w, but neither are compression drivers. I am having difficulty getting more info on them. It seems like Cabasse has also gotten out of the DIY market. However you can read a bit about them here:

Cabasse - High-End-Chassis aus Frankreich

Enjoy,
Deon

PS. Please keep us updated with your newest projects. It is one of the highlights of my day if I find a post about your newest and craziest designs. :bigeyes: Please don't stop. :)

DeonC said:
Hi Magnetar

Have you tried the Cabasse TW5 High Output Tweeter and Cabasse DOM8 High Output Midrange units yet? Both are rated at 110dB/w, but neither are compression drivers. I am having difficulty getting more info on them. It seems like Cabasse has also gotten out of the DIY market. However you can read a bit about them here:

Cabasse - High-End-Chassis aus Frankreich

Enjoy,
Deon

PS. Please keep us updated with your newest projects. It is one of the highlights of my day if I find a post about your newest and craziest designs. :bigeyes: Please don't stop. :)

Thanks Deon, those drivers sound nice, It appears the mid is a horn loaded carbon dpme. They must have very powerful magnets. Community Light and Sound M200 driver comes to mind.

This open baffle bass system here was built to bring down the size and still have low compromise. Next step is to redesign the baffle to use six woofers , the mid horn and the Karlson slot in a narrower footprint. I have been tweaking my front projection high def video system and am going up to a 106" screen. This will require a little narrower speaker, otherwise I'm very satisfied with my 'high sensitive open baffle' speakers. I'm debating on what material I will use for the final baffle - (sand fill, hardwood, multi layered different materials, ect) Now the coloration is very low and the dynamic drive and 'life' is very high. A very FUN, listenable fatigue free sound.

riff.ca said:
Hi Mike,
Congrats on another killer system! I'm crushed that this system is better then the WMTMW system, those 21" look so cool. lol However, I haven't been able to order drivers yet so I have options. ;)

One thing puzzles me, FS on the 10" Warrior is 65 hz. Isn't that to high for OB bass?

Regards

With the high QTS, multiple drivers and room coupling they actually go down into the 40's below resonance. I roll them off at 50 and use a horn sub. If I wasn't planning on using the sub I would have used different bass drivers, the 21's I used earlier come to mind. The tens sound better though. More SNAP and detail in the bass.

Hi Magnetar.

Your new speakers with the hornloaded B&C driver sounds very interesting!

How far down in frequency do you think the B&C driver will load on a larger horn (I know this will probably compromise the sound in the other end of the spectrum, but..)?

You mention the Community M200 compression drivers. Have you had a chance to hear these and what is your opinion on these? Thanks!

BTW - miss your posts at the AA board.

Kind regards
Peter

pk said:
Hi Magnetar.

Your new speakers with the hornloaded B&C driver sounds very interesting!

How far down in frequency do you think the B&C driver will load on a larger horn (I know this will probably compromise the sound in the other end of the spectrum, but..)?

You mention the Community M200 compression drivers. Have you had a chance to hear these and what is your opinion on these? Thanks!

BTW - miss your posts at the AA board.

Kind regards
Peter

They should load to below FS in a big horn with the right back chamber.

I have one working M200. It's hard to find another one. If you caan find a working pair for under 250 US I think you'll have a very high value mid driver with a good horn in the right application. I still like the horn loaded cone over it though.

I have to say this speaker in it's current configuration (with my sub bass) driven by my tube amps is nothing short of amazing. I am an obsessive SOB and keep looking for ways to improve my 'sound experience' and have gone through probably 100 different DIY speakers and maybe 40 'high end' speakers and these with the horn sub are the least compromised in getting the music and it's emotion right. All the emotion and life is there with no irritation or sense of mechanics or 'hifi' reproduction , just pure FUN- I have another room full of serious drivers and horns staring at me and I see no reason (finally) to to create any saw dust or to build another design - this is a MIRACLE.

Like a junky on the wagon I just wonder how long can I go ??? :D

Magnetar said:

I guess cubic feet.

Um... if it is cubic ft, then the 10" Warrior VAS 0.55= 15.7L. Plug that into UniBox and it only have sensitivity of 87.8db. I am quite sure you are getting higher sensitivity then this.
Well, I am actually interested in their 15" Executor and would like to find out actual sensitivity from their T/S value to see if I can get away with one woofer. If using cubic ft, it only have sensitivity of 92.6dB compare to the stated 100dB.
:bawling:

SamL said:

Um... if it is cubic ft, then the 10" Warrior VAS 0.55= 15.7L. Plug that into UniBox and it only have sensitivity of 87.8db. I am quite sure you are getting higher sensitivity then this.
Well, I am actually interested in their 15" Executor and would like to find out actual sensitivity from their T/S value to see if I can get away with one woofer. If using cubic ft, it only have sensitivity of 92.6dB compare to the stated 100dB.
:bawling:

I never measured the TS of the warriors just the voltage sensitivity and response. They re around92 db with 2.83 volts 50 to 800 cycles each. Wire in parallel and the sensitivity and power hancling goes through the roof.

- One woofer would be very poor

What needs to be considered is the sensitivity and xmax mounted on a board in 1/2 space at 50 cycles. When you do that you will see why a pair of 15's really won't work -and high QTS is very important

Hello Magnetar,

did you had the chance to read my post about compression chambers? (post 140 in this thread). I find your opinions and experience very helpfull. The question is if you find quality differences between cone loaded horns with or without compression chambers...

Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.