Seeking suggestions or plans for tall narrow speaker cabinets for Tannoy Gold 12" Monitors

Hi DIYers,
I'm looking for advice and/or plans for enclosures for the 12"Tannoy Gold I inherited.
Hesitating between a simple horn design and ported cabs.
The issue with the horns is that the ones I have found are wide.
I'd like something that sort of hugs the drivers.
Curious to see what people have built.
Thanks in advance for sharing your experience,
Daniel.

Some ideas below:

Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 8.04.03 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 7.49.35 AM.png

The GRF is courtesy of Hans on the Tannoy Groups.io group, but the minimum width he recommends is 25.5 inches.
Screenshot 2024-01-30 at 6.10.53 PM.png

GM

Joined 2003
Personally would just 'squeeze' an existing design and re-dimension it to maintain its flare frequency/factor and accept that it will have a wider horizontal/narrower vertical polar response, which if setting relatively close in a small room is advantageous.

Horn mouth polar frequency: c = 10^6/(a*b)

a = wall angle in deg

b = mouth width (or height) in inches

c = -6 dB frequency

metric = (2.54*10^6)/(a*b) in cm

Mister Audio
Which one do you mean?
The straight cab with curved walls, or the horns?
And why?
Hi there,
I was recommending the 'tall & narrow' transmission line enclosures.
Many 'standard' Tannoy enclosures are really quite large and wide.
Your desire for something tall & narrow is exactly the job for a transmission line box.
This design should allow you to have good bass extension without being too large.
I have never built a T/L enclosure, but I understand it can be quite a challenging project.
As for horn-loading a Tannoy, I know nothing about such.
Take care & have fun :)

GM

Joined 2003
I have never built a T/L enclosure, but I understand it can be quite a challenging project.
Depends..........I started building MLTLs in the mid-'60s, though of course just considered them 'tower'/'column' reflex by simply taking a factory recommended vented box design, changing it to a cube to get a cross sectional area and 'stretched' it to the desired height based on preferred driver height/offset and its (oversized) net Vb was what it was, then the (baffle thickness) reflex vent was tuned to Fs/'critically' damped since I had a high output impedance amp (FWIW/BTW still doing it this way except using a calculated classic* or T/S max flat alignment).

*Vb = Vas/1.44 tuned to Fs (equal amplitude impedance peaks)

Dave p10's Click Test diagram.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user