seeking ideas for diy headshell (tonearm pics inside)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A quick correction - the outside diameter of the arm tube is 5/16" and not 5/32".
Thinking of which, why can't I possibly just use on these types of headshells after removing the on-board socket and sliding the headshell over the end of the arm tube(and tightening it up with the screw) ?

http://www.turntableneedles.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=10681

http://www.musicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?sku=ASUM6
or even
http://www.turntableneedles.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=10623
or
http://www.turntableneedles.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=10692

I dont know exactly how much wide those cartridge mounting slots are in the first two headshells but isn't it possible to mount the cartridge at an angle in one of those ?
although is it neccessary that all of the mounting surface area of the cartridge makes contact with the headshell ?

for the last two they already have some amount of angle so it seems like it'd be just a matter of "fine-tuning" the zenith.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
percy said:
Although is it necessary that all of the mounting surface area of the cartridge makes contact with the headshell?

Oddly enough, I was looking at an SME headshell and wondering that exact same thing a few minutes ago. I've always made my headshells like the one in the photograph because I've usually made my arm to suit my cartridge, and none of my cartridges have had any mounting surface forward of the screws. But what if you had a Koetsu or something that was effectively a big rectangular block with screws in the middle? If you imagine that you only support at the screws, then it's easy to imagine the cartridge rocking at that point. Supporting at each end would stop that rocking. So, I conclude that if your cartridge can be suported at each end, then your headshell should do so. In which case, my design would need to be extended forward a little.

I doubt if the slots on a straight headshell would allow you to rotate a cartridge by the 22 degrees typically needed (9" arm), and even if it could, it would look rather messy.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Re: Seeking Ideas for diy headshell

bulgin said:
This sounds like a mountain of work fit only for a cnc precision machine shop.

I agree. It's one thing to accept that making something yourself takes a great deal of time but is worth it because of the satisfaction at the end, but quite another to do a load of repetitive work. I once made seven little aluminium buttons in the shape of top hats, each drilled axially and fitted with a rod of 1.6mm clear perspex for the LED to shine through. Each part had to be machined precisely in all dimensions. It was a royal pain and at the end I vowed never to do such a thing again.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
As promised; photo of removable SME headshell in socket.

Attachments

• sme shell.jpg
    sme shell.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 381
EC8010 said:
You can make a headshell out of 1 1/2" aluminium angle (1/8" thick). I made this with the assistance of a Black & Decker power drill in a stand, a junior hacksaw, and a few files.

attachment.php

EC8010, would you by any chance know how much this headshell weights ? just the headshell without all the mounting hardware and leads and stuff.

Seeking Ideas for diy headshell

Hi Everyone

The deed is done. I have a couple of arms (some new & still boxed) but all these use their own type headshell or wand which are either unobtainable or very expensive. My Micro arms have only really one headshell left in good condition. I therefore took the plunge and just finished making a replacement curved wand for it, plus all the fittings, including an addition to the armweight.

SME-type headshells are no problem to obtain and this arm can now take these shell.

All is ready for anodising tomorrow (sorry later today) and rewire. Looks very good, I must say but the proof of success is in using it.

Don't laugh, but the curved wand has been made from one of the landing sleds of a r/c helicopter (found last year in a black rubbish bag, sitting on the pavement).

bulgin

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
percy said:
attachment.php

EC8010, would you by any chance know how much this headshell weights ? Just the headshell without all the mounting hardware and leads and stuff.

I'd weigh it on the kitchen scales I got as a Christmas present but the headshell is now on an arm in Hong Kong. You can calculate the mass by knowing that aluminium has a relative density of 2.7 and the headshell was 1/8" thick.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.