Seeking help for first Speaker project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
To expand a little on what Dave said,

The W8-1172 has a very low Qts (0.29), meaning it requires a large horn to get any real bass extension.
The W8-1808 has a higher Qts (0.44), making it suitable for ported boxes, which are a much simpler build, and provide enough bass for most people.

(FYI Dave, the Alp7.3 in the really small Fonkens (uFonken?) did very well at a large meet - 10m x20m room - backed by my THs, I can highly recommend this setup.)

Anyway, the cabinet I heard with the Tang Band was a ~40L ported cabinet tuned to around 35Hz. You'd need plenty of bracing etc, as 40L isn't a small cabinet.

As a thought, you already have subwoofers in the same room. You could build a pair of the FH3s (which are very good), and see if you want more bass before spending much more on diminishing returns. I'm sure a switchbox of some form would allow you to switch between subwoofer being used for the stereo then HT.

WRT the new Fostexes...
Madisound appears to be down at the minute, and Europe Audio still hasn't got them in.
Google Madisound in a few day's time, see if the 'site's functioning properly: search Fostex and you should find what you're after.

Chris

In Italy we say "la fame vien mangiando", something like hunger grows with eating, this is going to be my first build but probably not the last!:)

Great saying, happens to me all the time (literally)! :D

Good 2nd point too; once you've got the building/tweaking bug, it's difficult to stop (is it possible to stop??).

Have fun building. The FH Mk3 is a great choice, specially with Alp 7.3.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
(FYI Dave, the Alp7.3 in the really small Fonkens (uFonken?) did very well at a large meet - 10m x20m room - backed by my THs, I can highly recommend this setup.)

Chris, you talking about the road warriors that Colin built with the really cool dark veneer?

Those are full size (as large as they get) for the A7.3. The slab-sided version of the dMar-Ken7.3. In the picture of Chris' current family, you can see the prototype of the trapezoid version next to the MTMs.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.