• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Secondary light emanating through the top support in 6HB5?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
So these reside in an Acoustat Servo Charge OTL. On standby, the filaments are lit up as normally, slight glow. I'm seeing tiny specs of white light poking through the mica support at the top. They are bright but very tiny. I have 3 other amps just like it in the same system. It's only happening in one. Does anyone know what this is? TIA

Joined 2009
Paid Member
image0(10).jpeg
The white specs at bottom right of three tubes is the light I'm referring to. There could be up to 4 on each tube intermittently appearing/disappearing. It's difficult to capture through the cage but I cant' turn on the amp without the cage installed.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
There are no LEDs or other light sources. It's definitely coming through the mica support inside the tube.

Umm, on second thought, when I close the front door they disappear. It's the light coming through the front door of the house reflecting on the tubes. Sorry folks!

Thanks Osvaldo

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2009
Paid Member
It appeared the light was coming through small holes in the mica but alas, the convex shape of the glass reduces the reflected image's size. The interesting thing is they appear on four corners simultaneously.

I should point out it is my WIFE who pointed this out to me. She was afraid the amp will blow up and burn the house down. :oops:

Last edited: