Second Scope.Tektronix 2445A ok?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ta
There are a few 2445As on fleabay at the mo.Around the £250-£350 mark.I was thinking a good quality analogue scope would be a better bet than a digital one.I have a feeling you need to spend considerable more on a digital one to get a reaaly good one
Smiffy

Tektronix 2445A is a lovely scope. So is a 465, but given the choice I'd take the 2445A any day.

The 2445/2465 scopes have a custom hybrid inside (U800) which gets real hot, and is a common point of failure. When they go, the only place you can get another one is out of another scope. It's a good precaution to add a heatsink to this IC (plenty of info on this).

The calibration output on the front is for adjusting probe compensation, nothing else.

If it's been calibrated in the last 10 years and hasn't been thrown from the roof of a mid-size building, it should be spot on. Even if it's a tiny bit out, it's only a CRO with no storage, so who cares.

But it's a great 150MHz scope (that can be modded to the 2465A standard for 400MHz bandwith), 4 channels, cursors etc...

These are wonderful 'scopes. You will be pleased to own one.
A while ago I found a 2445 in a dustbin. It turned out to have a faulty U800 (horizontal driver). After much waiting, searching and dumpster diving I found a 2445A (I think it was an "A") which had been smashed to pieces, however the U800 chip was present and once transplanted, the 2445 came back to life and is now full working order!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.