seas or scan speak

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
@nrg2009 I always liked the simplicity of 1st order 2-way designs, ever since I heard Electrofluidic's loudspeakers in the early 90's. These used a die cast speaker cabinet, correct me if wrong but at the time I think was an industry first. The cabinet material was a composite resin which looked a bit like dark concrete, with an auto finish. The guy who designed these was my neighbour in east London and they used Jordan units, which he tweaked. All they had in the crossover were a single cap and inductor. I think he even used simple electrical terminal blocks instead of soldering, which i thought was odd. I was a kid and I'd never heard high end speakers before; they sounded amazing if a little over analytical to listen to. The metal sound I guess.

With this current design I'll keep it really simple. Sreten kind of put me off doing anything too crazy. The extra 3-4dB of the Satori's in parallel, plus the x/o point, shd compensate for any baffle step loss.

I don't have a blog atm.

Last edited:
sreten,

I looked at those 2 design: It is hard to see something wrong with the RS180 design. Simple (aka good) X/O design, and the RS speakers are pretty good from what I hear. The Zaph ZDT has been on my radar, but it's a little old of a design, it may still be solid.

Bill, I'll wait for your blog. I'm a huge fan of the Mark audio drivers, I haven't heard anything better (granted I don't get out much).
It's too darn cold over here to do anything anyway. It has been a hell of a winter here in michigan, we still have about 2 feet of snow on the lawn.

@nrg2009 I always liked the simplicity of 1st order 2-way designs, ever since I heard Electrofluidic's loudspeakers in the early 90's. These used a die cast speaker cabinet, correct me if wrong but at the time I think was an industry first. The cabinet material was a composite resin which looked a bit like dark concrete, with an auto finish. The guy who designed these was my neighbour in east London and they used Jordan units, which he tweaked. All they had in the crossover were a single cap and inductor. I think he even used simple electrical terminal blocks instead of soldering, which i thought was odd. I was a kid and I'd never heard high end speakers before; they sounded amazing if a little over analytical to listen to. The metal sound I guess.

With this current design I'll keep it really simple. Sreten kind of put me off doing anything too crazy. The extra 3-4dB of the Satori's in parallel, plus the x/o point, shd compensate for any baffle step loss.

I don't have a blog atm.

Tandberg had die cast, plastic, but die cast, speakers in the 70's. ADL did micro die cast metal ones in the 70's too. I still have my Tanbergs.

I keep hoping to find drivers that I CAN do a decent first order with. I believe that is part of Vandersteen's secret. The quality of the midrange has been the issue. None I can find are smooth or flat enough from 2K to 5K FO. So I seem stuck on 6.5 inch/1 inch 2600- LR4, as it works pretty well.

Yes, the RS drivers are great for the money. A bit hard to tame in respect to cone breakup. I have used 4 sizes. I really want to try their new smallest paper version. Not perfect, but good.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.