seas 8" fa22rcz video

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hmm.....

The climbing response of the raw driver would work well with our typical 70-80db listening levels.

My fane 250tc has a climbing response, but 6db cut on a 2khz slider (on a 10 band eq) sounds just about right, no smily-face eq needed so typical of flat speakers.

And sitting on the floor it needs no baffle step boost. Just -3db @125hz for the high qtc sealed alignment. Still need to work on sub.

The seas has just moved up in the "future maybe projects" list.

Norman

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The Seas really should have a BLH or TL etc although for a simple sealed box, sounds surprisingly full.

The driver is designed for sealed use and works well. Just starting to mod mine expecting even higher performance.

dave

Attachments

• SEAS-FA22-plugged.jpg
    SEAS-FA22-plugged.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 651
The driver is designed for sealed use and works well. Just starting to mod mine expecting even higher performance.

dave

Any more thoughts on this driver? How will your modification improve the sound? Have you made some cabinets?

How would this driver compare to the MA 10.3?

It's a tad on the expensive side but might be worth it. Too bad the Loonie has bitten the dust tho :eek:

http://www.madisound.com/store/manuals/fa22rcz_appnote.pdf

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I listened to it quite a bit and liked them. They didn't do anything objectionable. They are currently on my work-bench. One more set of rings on the whizzer then the gloss. Need one more set of rings on the phase plugs and gloss. I'll have to fiddle a bit with their installation. There are a couple bumps under the copper caps which mean the plugs don't sit flat.

I expect the same kind of improvements i have heard so far in all the other drivers i have heard, smoother, and more DDR/detail.

They are in a repurposed sealed KEF Calinda box.

They'll be up and playing before diyFEST.

dave

Somewhat vampire[ish] bringing a thread back from the dead, but continuing my Sunday afternoon clear-out of the HDDs, found this box I did for the FA22RCZ a while back. I didn't bother drawing it up at the time (let alone getting the long-suffering Dave to do it ;) ) as it's 7 1/2ft tall, but since it should be a perfectly effective design, and bigger is better when it comes to horn variations in my book, I've quickly stuffed the dimensions into my generic ML-horn drawing in case it's of use. The sketch isn't going to be in the running for any graphic awards, but it should give a reasonable idea.

Continuing the Yes, Minister theme of the big ML-horn I did for the Pluvia 11, I've called this The Bennite Solution.

Attachments

• The Bennite Solution.PNG
    The Bennite Solution.PNG
    291.1 KB · Views: 441
Last edited:
Seas Prestige FA22RCZ (H1597-08) 8" Fullrange

Hi Folks,

I'm preparing a cabinet build for the Seas FA22RCZ 8" FR and will go with Seas' suggestion of a sealed 60 ltr cabinet. I don't want a bookshelf cabinet as drawn by Seas, but rather a floorstanding 60 ltr sealed cabinet.

The internal dimensions of 9.5"w x 34"h x 11"d were chosen because of innocuous footprint and the ability to mill the entire cabinet from a single 4'x8' sheet of 3/4" BB.
...but I have two questions...

1) What distance should be used from driver center to internal top of cabinet? ....or does this really matter much for a sealed cabinet?

2) Lined or stuffed or both? I notice the denim-scrap acoustic lining that I now get from Home Depot, despite being a nominal 1/2" thick, seems thinner than that which I used to buy from Bob at CSS.

Thank for your indulgence folks! Regards,
Mario

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.