Search for midrange...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everybody,

Could anyone suggest a midrange/fullrange driver of following characteristics:

1) 96 dB/W/m sensitivity (maybe even higher)
2) more or less flat responce from 200-300 to 5000-7000 Hz
3) 6-7" or less
4) current production
5) no whizzer cone (if fullrange)
6) paper-based diaphragm
7) cloth or paper surround
8) not very expensive (say, under $100-150/pair)

Points 1-4 are a must, 5-8 are very desirable (yes, I know about FE166E :D )

Thanks in advance!

I'm sorry, I don't know if these are available in Ukraine- but several pro midranges can fit your needs. Drivers from B&C, PHL, and Eminence are worth looking at.

With a lot of these drivers, there is a gentle rise to their frequency response. I hear that this is to counteract the effects of horn loading.

GM

Joined 2003
Greets!

Earth to TG, Earth to TG...... ;) Don't we all, but if 'wishes were horsepower, bagels would fly'! ;) This BW ideally requires a ~high excursion 1.93" effective diaphragm diameter, so forget getting the efficiency without a very large compression driven conical horn, or if a small amount of distortion is acceptable, a smaller, but still large exponentially flared one.

Once you move away from these, your $$ limit will demand considerable compromise.........

GM

At 96+db sensitivity that sure sounds like pro sound driver territory. If you exclude horn loading and considering your specifications and price restraints you could try the Davis Acoustics 13MP5G, a 5 inch graphite coated paper cone, cloth surround, midbass driver, supposedly smooth from 200Hz up past 5 kHz, sensitivity is 91db and the price in US dollars $55 each. It meets seven of your eight requirements, not too bad. The factory is in France so it should be available over in Europe.

In reply, to GM’s post

Yeah, I know but look how Parts Express’s graph disagrees with the OEM’s own graph, Davis Acoustics specifications at http://www.partsexpress.com/pdf/297-562.pdf which is remarkably flat. Now, Davis could be misleading here or there might have been a problem with the test that Parts Express did, possibly even a defective sample? Who knows? I wouldn’t trust either graph without first acquiring a sample and testing the driver on my own. After all one test sample is not too much of an expense before investing in all the driver costs that a new project entails. And, I believe that in the original post, TG is looking at a 3-way design, which will require some experimentation to get right.

audax pr170zo

I have been using the Audaz PR170Z0 After I sawit on a few pieces from vonschweikert. It's about 95db sensative in the real world, and is made of a coated paper. They cal it aeroge, but really it's a special non rubberizedgoating over a pulp based driver. I have used other aerogel drivers with some level of sucsess, allthough I would cross this driver of kind of high in the 300hz range. They are still available from most places that sell audax for like 70 bones. It should give solid (300-350) - (3000-3500) performance. i have two but that project isn't due to start for a year or so. I just bough them becasue audax has stopped making drivers for diy market, and I wanted to snag a few before I won't be able to.

cfb said:
In reply, to GM’s post

Yeah, I know but look how Parts Express’s graph disagrees with the OEM’s own graph, Davis Acoustics specifications at http://www.partsexpress.com/pdf/297-562.pdf which is remarkably flat. Now, Davis could be misleading here or there might have been a problem with the test that Parts Express did, possibly even a defective sample? Who knows? I wouldn’t trust either graph without first acquiring a sample and testing the driver on my own. After all one test sample is not too much of an expense before investing in all the driver costs that a new project entails. And, I believe that in the original post, TG is looking at a 3-way design, which will require some experimentation to get right.

Greets!

OEM graphs are notorious for being one or more octave smoothed, plus they often don't update their published data due to design and/or production changes, so while it's certainly possible PE's unit is defective if they didn't measure a few to confirm it's a typical unit, I recommend using their measurements over most factory ones for initial comparison purposes.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.