search 15 inch Pro subwoofer ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
GM said:

Ooh..... if these specs are as accurate as JBL's, then at a calc'd 96.81 dB/W/m and only -3 dB/20 Hz/half space in ~17.69 ft^3 it's quite the bargain at < 1/6th the 2245's price. No 'free lunch' though, the JBL has a much lower Le and 4x the power handling, ergo higher SQ and dynamic headroom. Still, for a HIFI/HT app, it should be more than adequate for all but the most hard-core bass connoisseurs, though two in parallel wired isobaric seems the best compromise overall if space is an issue and still > 2/3 cheaper.

GM

I've been interested in these for sometime now, the price is right and they should be very sq oriented which is what I want the most.. The plan is to mount isobaric with one driver seeing 5 cubic feet, not looking for high spl just good clean accurate bass.. They could be a poor mans JBL I'm a hoping:cool: and I may build two units so 4 drivers in all... Dave:)

tinitus said:

There is also a cheap Dayton 18" at 94db/22hz/0.44 qts(closed)

That may be the best option. 94db is pretty good, and that woofer plays low.

If he's really wanting a 97-99db woofer, then he's will lose deep bass. He won't get the deep subsonic boom of car stereo, but if would be much louder however. The Dayton 18" seems like a good balance between LOUD and the LOW BOOM he's looking for.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Disney has drivers like that in one of their rides " Eartquake" or something like that, but even that is not that efficient; I think that this particular driver has a 15 or 16 inch voice coil and is so heavy that it has trouble moving. I'll search later and see if I can find details

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005

Attachments

• pw-1001.jpg
    pw-1001.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 271
Bigger radiator = greater acoustic efficiency, not electrical, ergo 'BIB' cab rules to get LF efficiency, so a 20 Hz Fs/0.5 Qes/120 ft^3 Vas (not a typo!) driver with a very low Le in a ~203 ft^3 cab tuned to 17 Hz yields a near 100 dB efficient T/S maximally flat alignment.

A real world 'close enough' example was the EV 30W, a 15 Hz Fs, 0.31 Qes 30" Styrofoam diaphragm woofer with a 210 ft^3 Vas that was nominally 100 dB eff. down to 20 Hz in ~160 ft^3/17 Hz.

GM

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Yeah !!! It's called Semtex, but really hard to live with I think.
Real world noise is low! loud!! and painful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
At homw I listen to bass cello and organ music, and while I can appreciate the "want" do we really need it to actually hear the music.
Power is relatively cheap, so I will have to take the two of those parametres that are available and doable:-{( In the real world I think most manufacturers exaggerate the efficiecy of the drivers they market, for example my CV's are advertised at 96dB, but when you punch parametres into the sims they come out at 88dB, not lies just using the loudest peaks in the spectrum.
So even the most efficient driver probably will not be that loud where you want it .
Brett is right; pick the two parts you are most interested in and work around those

700 watt sub amp? That won't cost too much. I got a used Behringer EP2500 for well under $300; that'll do at least 600W per channel. Peavey CS800's and PV8.5C amps will do over 400W/channel/4 ohms, and aren't expensive used.

Although, there IS a way: .... if you make your listening room small enough, you will achieve both 20 Hz response and high efficiency, through the magic of "room gain". The easiest way to do this may be to build a large speaker cabinet, and get inside.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Sorry we couldnt help you much, but your goal is not realistic, as stated several times
Its ok with pro drivers fore very loud levels, but in that case you will have to cut down on the 20hz...its possible but it gets VERY big and expencive

Be more realistic and your goal is within reach

But its shere rubbish that a 90db speaker cant be dynamic...its just a question of having enough drivers, and not just a matter of sensitivity...big surface area equals dynamic sound

nickthevoice said:
it's ma phylosophy for all audio, when you need DYNAMIC you need Efficient speaker THAT'S IT :) !!!

it's the same in my MIDRANGE MIDBASS and SUBWOOFER.

You will not get an argument from me re high eff drivers, as that's all I use. However, for a sub efficiency is less important than volume displacement (usually - depends on design compromises).

You keep ignoring the suggestions for a tapped horn. This is the only way I can see you getting efficiency and output levels from a single driver; you will not from a direct radiator. There is a huge TH thread here, and this is one of the designs that can use an Eminence 3015LF.
http://volvotreter.de/th.htm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.