Sealed vs Vented Enclosures

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
amo,

I agree with you mostly, but I don't know whether Brad wishes to have the subwoofer that can play loudest, or a subwoofer that plays effortlessly at moderately loud volumes, low distortion, and with little to no interaction with the room. There have have been several threads posted in recent months describing successful dipole subwoofer projects using inexpensive drivers, amplification, and little equalization, and from what I gather, it is the dipole effect itself that most affects the sound of a dipole subwoofer, not the driver, amplification, or equalization. I think such solutions are far from obscene, but are rather elegantly inexpensive ways to reproduce excellent sound.

To be fair, I have a large sealed subwoofer based on the Stryke AV12, and though I don't have any LT or DRC implemented, I'm for the most part satisfied with the sound. But again,

Hope this helps,
Peter

with little to no interaction with the room.
that rules out corner horns and corner placement

=Dipole

but i dont like cheap woofers moving a long way producing distortions! so you need even MORE of them

here drivers are never on special,so i cant buy enough of them cheaply to move enough air for decent SPL levels

When one has low frequency output nearer 30hz, i find that i perceive it to be louder than my 40hz horn,when infact it is only at 90db levels.

The quality low output is valuable,atleast to me
:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.