sealed vs. ported

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I rechecked the thiele paras, given by elliott sound and i got the following results results,
FS - 29.6
VAS - 284
Qes - 0.61
Qms - 7.46
Qts - 0.56

But before testing, I had a break in for the driver.

Second thing, is the Qts high because i have used a 8mm thick top plate and the coil is 35mm lenth, which gives me 13mm of linear xmax, and only 8mm is in the magnetic gap.

kelticwizard said:

0.56 is not an unusual value for Qts either.

Break point for reflex tuning is drive unit Qts lower than 0.4......above that go for sealed box.
However nothing is imposs. You can use a highish Qts speaker and put it in a large box and keep system Q around 1.......depends on your usage.

You can put a high Qts drive unit in a small box with alot of damping.........not recommended unless for MI apps.

Your VAS suggests a large box..however do the math first.

richj

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
sonu said:
I rechecked the thiele paras, given by elliott sound and i got the following results results,
FS - 29.6
VAS - 284
Qes - 0.61
Qms - 7.46
Qts - 0.56

YOU said that you test these in a 2.8 cu ft = 80 liters sealed box, and that it sounds good.

Not surprised.

Put a woofer with these numbers into a sealed 80 liter box, and yu get a Qtc = 1.19.

The range you normally aim for is Qtc = 0.5 to 1.0.

The number of this woofer/box combination, Qtc = 1.19, is only a little bit higher than that, so it still should sound pretty decent.

A sealed box woofer with a Qtc = 1.19 will still have better step response than most vented boxes. And many people, such as myself, like vented boxes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.