Sealed or vented for the Alpair 7.3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How would blocking the ports allow better integration?

It may not, but usually the sealed roll off goes better with a typical HT receiver cross over. And the ported speaker will have a phase change as the port comes in. I haven't done much experimenting personally on this, so I'm just spouting off. The little I've done I usually find sealed a touch better, but nothing worth freaking out about. Maybe if the tuning was very close to the cross over to the sub, I'd freak out.

So the project is pretty much done. Here are the pictures. Alpair 7.3 in 5 liters sealed box with their work mates ; subs with Dayton drivers.

I am very pleased with the sound so far. The a7.3 have a lot a details, good imaging and they integrate well with the subs.

Congratulations to Mark for this very nice driver.

Nelson Paradis

Attachments

• DSC00001.jpg
    DSC00001.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 339
  • DSC00002.jpg
    DSC00002.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 330
Yes, the two-tone brings a lighter look, I think. However, my pictures have a lot of distortion...

The A7 are runned full range. In a sealed 5 l box, they are not full range at all and they really need the subs.

The subs are low passed with the amp plate which is a o-audio 300w (based on a Bash). So far, I ajusted the cutting frequency around 92 hz and this is a 4th order crossover.

I havent heard the A7 in a vented box so I can't compare but the sealed box + sub combo appears viable to me.

My A7 liked to have a lot a breaking in. Up to 200 hrs, they sounded a bit bright to me. With now 400-500 hrs, they found their tonal balance.

Nelson

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.