Sealed bookshelf designs available?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Scottmoose said:
Sure you can do it, if you accept that they're likely to have very little grunt under about 200Hz at all.

The Velodynes that I'm mating them with cost me $129 at Fry's.
Fortunately the crossover on them makes it to 200 Hz, and that's
where it tends to be used.

gychang said:
any chance for cheapo-in-a-box?

How cheap did you have in mind?

:cool:

+1 on the Tang Bands.

I'm doing a TB W3-1364-in-a-box and corner loading it to solve the BSC problem. A 4.8liter (internal) test box I did (just like Godzillas) put out to 100Hz free field!!

These are for the kitchen aimed at the stove (I make my own bass here

:D

Attachments

• cornercab1.jpg
    cornercab1.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 628
Nelson,

If you were to build a 'not too big' subwoofer (instead of buying one, despite it being cheap) to mate with a small sealed fullranger, what would be your cost-size-performance approach?
Would you consider a pair of smallish sealed subs (equalized perhaps-small box with a big driver) using a 15" bass driver like Eminence Beta 15 to be a a good option, or you'd rather go for a smaller bass driver (10" or so) in a sort of a ported enclosures?

Thanks,

Vix

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Vix said:
If you were to build a 'not too big' subwoofer (instead of buying one, despite it being cheap) to mate with a small sealed fullranger, what would be your cost-size-performance approach?
Would you consider a pair of smallish sealed subs (equalized perhaps-small box with a big driver) using a 15" bass driver like Eminence Beta 15 to be a a good option, or you'd rather go for a smaller bass driver (10" or so) in a sort of a ported enclosures?

My approach is to buy/make lots of stuff and try anything. The
central difficulty with mating a woofer and FR is the crossover. It's
not trivial to get both the amplitude and phase correct, but once you
do, the rest usually falls into place.

:cool:

I came across a pair of sony 80W plate amps that have a dial: 50 to 200 Hz, a phase button, and a volume button for the grand price of free.

I bought a pair of the NHT surplus 8" peerless subwoofers. Hopefully that should cover my bottom end.

I'm now eagerly looking forward to spending more money (hopefully not much) on a pair of fullrangers. I've had a couple of discussions with Adam about this arrangement, and think it would be a pretty rewarding path. I also like the idea of "big" sound, but in a more child/wife friendly package.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.