SE distortion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just for interest,

I posted it some time ago (again for interest)

Resonant-choke Power Supply

There was a vogue for that back in the mid-'60s. It's a SLAGIATT*. The idea is to turn the choke into a parallel tuned trap. That works to isolate one specific frequency. However, AC ripple isn't just one frequency, as there are harmonics. The problem is that a resonant circuit has a greatly decreased impedance for off-resonant frequencies. Sure, you get rid of the fundamental (100Hz or 120Hz depending on where you're at) but let all the harmonic garbage through.

You're better off implementing a conventional RLC LPF to attenuate ripple frequencies.

*Seemed Like A Good Idea At The Time

I was listening to my new SE (not very spectacular ECL82 spud) and it sounded very nice. In fact it sounds good enough to be a keeper - better than it has any right to be. However i noticed the woolly bass and the slightly constrained top end. These were obvious from the moment I switched back to my PP amp.
I stand by my belief that the midrange sounds good because of the constraint around it.

Shoog

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.