• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

SE-BAL-SE Switching

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nothing wrong with Allen's circuit - but it does look rather different to the schematic posted, I though the posted circuit was a linestage.

I like (and am working towards) a balanced input from the gramophone is the way God intended us to listen to MC carts, via transformers. You can buy Partridge 6:1 transformers pretty cheaply and they are excellent.

You should read this article!

Nothing wrong with Allen's circuit - but it does look rather different to the schematic posted, I though the posted circuit was a linestage.

I like (and am working towards) a balanced input from the gramophone is the way God intended us to listen to MC carts, via transformers. You can buy Partridge 6:1 transformers pretty cheaply and they are excellent.

You should read this article!

As I wrote above, the schematic I posted is a simplified version of the original design, which has both a line stage and an optional phono stage.

The last I asked God, he didn't say how He preferred an MC phono stage, so I decided to follow humans I trust. A FET-tube first stage looks to me as potentially better than an input trafo.

I read SY's article, yet, I prefer Allen's design.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.