• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

SE amps opinions for my second amp build needed?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi and Merry Hollidays to everyone here!

Its been a while since I posted, my first audio build was a SE EL84 type with a 12ax7. I'm looking to do another SE but one now with a bit more wattage. Would like to see more schematics similiar to these bellow and any idears as well thanks!

Angela has this one:
http://www.angela.com/catalog/how-to/SE.EL34.html

Ace Audio I found this one the other day:
http://home.att.net/~chimeraone/aceschem.html

This schem next is a Mullard design I think came from someone here I forget who though it has a EF86 and a KT88 SE. The pic was to large to download I'll try latter to make it a smaller file size.

Rich and RMS

Rich, would you give me the link to check out Rankins schematic? Want to check it over.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RMS, saw tubebuilders design and see some improvements.

First 2.3k OPT needs to be higher, say 5k or so. 2.3k is going to give you 5% or more with a 2.3k. At one watt it will also be high.

The power output will be lower with 5k, but you could raise the B+ some if you want.

Thanks all!

Afew questions though, on that ace schematic why is there those I think there .047uf 400 volt caps in its power supply, and I notice there is no choke nice savings on a low budget what are the pros and cons about that??

From the same Tibebuilder site, here's one I find appealling:

KT 90 SE.

Is that a coke in there its in a od position something I don't understand yet?

Thanks!

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Is that a coke in there its in a od position something I don't understand yet?

It's an interstage xformer...

It performs a quadruple task, it couples into the next stage, performs impedance xformation, blocks DC, provides galvanic isolation between stages...and that's just for a 1:1 xformer...

Well designed it can also keep RF nasties at bay, etc, etc....

Don't think I'm a xformer fan, I' not. Well designed however, the benefits are manyfold...........

Cheers,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.