• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

SE 2 watt clean amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry, but I doubt that cheep ampl with OT for 12$ will sound good. 6V6 needs 8-10 sq cm iron for very good sounding. Than if You will change OT-s to bigger, You
will sense very big difference. I think, IMO, 24$ are money to wind. Sorry for off...but, IMO, cheep amplifier = cheep sound.

Sorry for you:( You don't know what you're missing :D I don't know which OTs he got from 'tubesandmore', but the cheapest Edcors are great! Less than 20dollar bliss:)

Sorry, guys, but I don't like good sounding amplifiers, ....I like very, very good sounding..../IMO/
/When I made my first ampl, I think that is the top of Ice cream....now when I listen it - EL84,
I think how it sound is terrible....maybe the time and skill are guilty/.

Last edited:
What sort of transformer do you have? What are its spec's?

A 140 VRMS rectifier winding would make a nice B+ rail, when rectified by a Greinacher ("full wave") voltage doubler. TANSTAAFL applies and the DC draw is limited to 1/4 the RMS current rating.

If you glanced at the thread I linked earlier, you'll have noticed the mention of the Hammond 125ESE. That O/P trafo is quite affordable and is not hopeless.

The transformer is from an old solid state Kenwood receiver. It has a 70 volt center tapped secondary (used for the 40 volt single supply to the power output stage). It has a 6.3 volt winding for pilot lights, probably 2A max (might be an issue). It is sounding like I need a higher voltage if I want to do this right.

Is the cathode resistor to allow the grid to be more negative? Why is the screen fed through a relatively low value resistor from the supply or a tap on the primary OPT? I thought it should be fed a fixed voltage of about 1/2 of the plate.

PS. love the "cake pan" amp:)

The transformer is from an old solid state Kenwood receiver. It has a 70 volt center tapped secondary (used for the 40 volt single supply to the power output stage). It has a 6.3 volt winding for pilot lights, probably 2A max (might be an issue). It is sounding like I need a higher voltage if I want to do this right.

Depending on its current capability, that Kenwood trafo could be suitable, as multi-stage voltage multipliers are available. However, the cost of the caps. needed to make such a multiplier work well is high.

IMO, you will be better off using a set of "iron" known to work well. A full set of power magnetics for "El Cheapo" can be purchased from Allied Electronics, at reasonable cost. $25.82 buys stock # 967-2343, which is the Triad N-77U main B+ trafo. $17.31 buys stock # 967-8019, which is a Triad VPS24-1800 that supplies "12" V. heater power and B+ boost. $13.41 buys stock # 227-0034, which is Allied's own 6K27VF that energizes the B- supply and 12AT7 heaters. Finally, $7.74 buys stock # 967-1004, which is the B+ filter choke (Triad C-24X).

Last edited:
Hi John, yes thats it. It cant get any less expensive than this and still put out something worth listening to. Here are a few pictures of my project.

Thanks, Bruce. I was 'led astray' by the pics of the 'dual mono' version on the Boozhound webpage - double PTs, double chokes, etc....

Another good-sounding and simple amp is the RH84 by Alex Kitic - I built one a couple of years ago.

John

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.