• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

SE 1.5W OTL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How about the filaments?
Would it be safe to wire 4 6C19 in a series connection and feed the whole chain with ~25V DC?

Seems like that would be an easier solution than connecting all eight tube sockets to a separate twisted pair of wires that connets to a 6,3VAC 8A transformer.
I don´t like hum, you see...!

Reinhard: Excellent, I have a pair of 12V 50VA toroids.
Is it AC or DC in the original schematic?

Regarding the cathode load, what about some kind of hybrid White follower? Results should be equal to a mirrored Aleph CCS but with less components involved.

Specification is one thing, OTL annother, a C19 can pull out nearly one ampere.

Yes, of course it can but how long? A problem in class A OTLs is that the idle current need to be high which will limit life of the tube, using 140mA with 100V give 14W dissipation which is over the dissipation spec, how much over the spec are you willing to go?

I use 6C33C in my OTL and use a peak current of 2.5A which is more than 4 times the specified cathode current without any ill effects, BUT! The idle anode dissipation is 2/3 of max and the idle current is only 200mA. I have used the same tubes without adjustments now for more than 6 years.

Regards Hans

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Regarding the cathode load, what about some kind of hybrid White follower? Results should be equal to a mirrored Aleph CCS but with less components involved.

You could do that but why not a fully tubed WCF as I've been suggesting for ages?

Think about it, the amp is probably going to be seeing an efficient LS load which hopefully is well behaved across the band.
If it isn't a impedance correction network can still help.
The use of multiple //ed output tubes is only done to increase power and lower Zout.
The WCF is incredibly linear and sports very wide bandwidth indicative of good phase behaviour. Zout is about as low as it comes...........
Granted you may be wasting a tube but there are considerable upsides to it too.

Re: the 6C19, pulling peak current continously is not what you want but why should you have to anyway? It's not as if you'd expect a SE OTL to be able to drive a short or, is it?

Anyway, thought I'd throw you guys a bone to chew on. :D

Cheers, ;)

Well, in spite of all the potential advantages in using active current sources and stuff I´ve decided to stay basic and use chokes.
The ones I already have is a bit bulky and the inductance is on the low side, so I´ve ordered a couple of 45VA EI-cores and half a mile of 0,5mm magnet wire:D
Winding transformers and chokes is no news for me, so I dont expect too much trouble here.

A friend told me that regulator pass tubes (like 6C19) generally dislikes to have B+ on the plates before the cathodes are fully heated, so some kind of delay circuit would be nice.
My idea is to use the warmup time in an indirectly heated tube diode (PY82 because I have a bunch) to control the reference voltage in a capacitance multiplier (non feedback regulator).

PY82 requies 19V 300mA on the heater, and the warmup time can be increased a lot by feeding it with a 300mA CCS.
Maybe a thermistor would give the same results?

Attachments

• capmult.jpg
    capmult.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 663
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.