• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Scott 299D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Now that it's working, it's time to start scheming and plotting modernization. :D ;)

Time and again, I find myself making the same sort of recommendations about units from this time frame. Tape head I/Ps are passe, in today's environment. Switches in mV. level signal lines are a prescription for problems. Therefore, rework the source selection scheme to hard wire a single pair of RCA females to the low level mag. preamp section and only use RIAA EQ. All other I/Ps should be line level. The source selector rotary switch has to be replaced and a "5" buck Lorlin part from Mouser does the job.

Whether or not you alter the phono preamp topology is up to you. My preference is to use the uploaded tweaked RCA setup, as it's buffered and will simultaneously drive both the recording O/Ps and the remaining circuitry in the unit.

Attachments

• Full Tweaked RCA Phono Stage.jpg
    Full Tweaked RCA Phono Stage.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 89
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.