Scopes

My father gave me a Tektronix 454 scope a while back, have only used it once as I really don't know how to use it. He died recently and I inherited 2 more scopes, both Tektronics, one a 475A, and the other a TDS 430A. I am wondering how good are they, suspect they are overkill for what I do (poke around blindly), which to keep, as i certainly don't need 3.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
The TDS430 is a 400 MHz digital scope and a pretty nice one at that. Keep it.
The TEK 475 is a 200 MHz analog scope. Keep it.

They're nice scopes. Learn to use them. An oscilloscope is one of the most useful tools for debugging analog circuits. Analog scopes can often pick up subtleties that digital scopes can't, but digital scopes tend to be easier to use and have features such as cursors and readouts of voltages, frequencies, etc. That's why I recommend that you keep an analog scope and a digital one.

Sell the 454 if you want to cull the herd.

I mean... Unless you're abandoning electronics and getting into another hobby. Then sell all of them. ;) As pointed out above you can get an idea the prices on ePay, Used-Line, and the like places. I'd sell them through the swap meet here, though.

Tom

Thank you for the replies, I will definitely Keep the two, possibly all three, and I do want to learn to use them. I'm a little late to the show, but better late than never. I think there are a few HP power supplies in my father's basement also, though I suspect they require some repairs. And he was a Ham radio operator (WA2SAY), piles of equipment, transceivers, tuners, amps, etc. along w 2 dobros and a 59 Fender Jazzmaster. Have a call out to one local amateur radio club already.

Reactions: 1 user