Schade circuit using IRFP240's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What if we do not need an amplifier with 50 watts of power but are satisfied with the 25 or so watts most Firstwatt designs have. What would have to be changed in the circuit to use the very common IRFP240 mosfet in the new circuit with the schade feedback and or would it have the SET curves? I am just a solder slinger and not a designer nor do I have or use the software to design circuits. I wonder if this is the circuit in the new F7 Nelson was talking about in the 6Moons article. I do like SE circuits over PP.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
if you search for original post (Papa mentioned , but I also forgot who originally contributed that**) with IRFP240 Shade recipe , you'll see that resistor values are 1K signal to gate , 10K drain to gate

no other gate (stopper) resistors

just be careful with biasing

** found it - revintage is one to blame for that useful trick to sand parts

133263d1241990508-trioderizer-mostri.jpg

if you search for original post (Papa mentioned , but I also forgot who originally contributed that**) with IRFP240 Shade recipe , you'll see that resistor values are 1K signal to gate , 10K drain to gate

no other gate (stopper) resistors

just be careful with biasing

** found it - revintage is one to blame for that useful trick to sand parts

133263d1241990508-trioderizer-mostri.jpg

Thanks Zen, I assume there is nothing wrong with having the mu follower with a IRFP240 like Papa did in the video. If I am wrong correct me.

I am lucky to have some of the V-Fets and actually have a board for one of the earlier designs but I am waiting for the SE design Papa has promised. This Schade circuitry just peaked my curiosity and it would be a great project to build and see how it performs. Maybe one day. Then maybe someone else that does not have the V-fets will jump in the water.

A SIT sounding amplifier using common available mosfets, what's there not to like.

Last edited:
Not really - the amp in question is sitting in the basement waiting in line to be fitted with some higher quality 3k output transformers, which will allow better power transfer and (perhaps) lower distortion. This amp is also ripe for a version using the Cree SiC mosfets.

I have lots of irons in the fire, so I tend to bounce between project quite frequently. Quite often what I learn in the process causes a project to morph radically compared to its earliest conception.

I've seen the schade circuit before without know what I was looking at. I thought it was just feedback not that it would make a mosfet have curves like a SIT. It's good to learn new things.

How about some descriptions of what these new designs sound like from the BAF attendees. Where are you 6L6, Mike, etc ?

Here's the latest version of L'Fake that "graced" Burning Amp 2015 this past Saturday - ugly, but quite functional.

http://russbutton.com/Russ/audio/2015BurningAmp/20151017_111624.jpg

Hello wrenchone. Your prototype is a beauty compared to the transient ones I regularly assemble, and disassemble.

I had followed wrenchone's threads with high interest. My "Schade'd" prototype with BJTs seemed to have a discernible subjective performance which was different from the un Schaded" parent.

Like other DIYers, I'd love see a thread by wrenchone revived. No doubt new ones will be started based on the talk of Mr. Pass at BAF2015.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.