• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Scalable PSU/regulator GB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Status report

The boards are due to ship to me on May 12th.

PSU parts are in and kitted except the 2K resistors and the 1200 uF caps. All extra 470 uF and 100 nF caps have been packed. For future group buys, a properly motivated 15 year old can pack about 1,000 caps an hour, regardless of type. ;)

The 2K resistors are on the way here, but the big caps have slid from expected ship dates of some on 4/19 and the rest on 4/27 to scheduled to ship on June 4. :mad:

Orders without parts kits will ship as soon as I receive the boards.

If the 1200 uF cap ship date slips any further I will look into alternatives.

I still have plenty of BC546C and BC556C.

I was able to substitute in stock 1500 uF Panasonic FCs for the 1200 uF that I ordered at nominal cost. They should ship today, so we are back to the board delivery as the time driver.

The 1500 uF caps are 25 mm tall, instead of the original 20. Those not using heat sinks now have a board ~3 mm taller than it would have been. I hope that this isn't a problem for anyone.

This is round 1 of the PSU buy. The kits are assembled, waiting on boards. The boards are at the local distribution center, I should have them by noon tomorrow. My son has the day off from school, so we ought to get a fair number of orders packed up to go out Wednesday.

Kestrel - You received your filter boards, correct?

By the way, I have 35 extra psu boards. Advanced shipped extras (not free, though). I have parts kits available if needed, I bought more than I really need for myself.

The boards are in

I'll take an extended lunch break to verify a random parts kit and assemble a board. My son will spend the afternoon packing them up.

In the meantime: (My scanner cut off the rightmost part of the boards, it really has space for the big electrolytics and output terminals)

PSUBoards.jpg

I am handing the group buy, Jens "just" did the design work. ;)

The boards are $5 each. The parts kits to go with the boards are $20.25 each.

The parts kit includes all parts in the BOM except heat sinks and trim pots. In addition to the BOM parts, the kit includes 2K resistors to replace the 3K3 in the feedback loop and set the voltage to nominally 15V. I have built up two of the prototype boards with kit parts. No load output voltage ranges from 14.99 V to 15.03V.

Gilid, YGM.

Test fit complete

Here are some pictures of the assembly in progress. Sorry about the quality, I am still in the film age. I also took real pictures and will post once I get them developed.

Boy, it's nice to have a silkscreen. Even stopping to take pictures along the way it took half an hour less to assemble the boards than the no silkscreen or soldermask prototype boards.

resistors and diodes mounted

resistorsanddiodes.jpg

Film caps mounted

filmcaps.jpg

Semiconductors mounted - normally I would mount the semis last, but my fingers are bigger than the 1500 uf caps, so I thought it best to put them in first. The BCs that go between the 1 uF caps are easy to insert because the leads are pre-formed.

semis.jpg

With all caps mounted

allcaps.jpg

Finished - the apparently bare metal spots on the heatsinks are not visible to the naked eye. Gengis's heat sinks included in the group buy are factory fresh.

finished.jpg

Now to get packing and shipping.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.