SBAcoustics SB17CRC sounds really nice!

20240323_132923.jpg

I have the SB26STCN 4ohm tweeter and SB17CRC carbon fiber 8ohm woofer in a small bookshelf setup, sealed box design of about 0.2cuft. I use the reference driver curves (frd/zma files I found online) and modeled a very simple crossover: just a 10uF and 2ohm resistor on the tweeter, and a 0.6mH and 10uF cap on the woofer. Tweeter is wired reverse polarity. No baffle step correction yet. I dont think I need it in my setup close to the wall.

I am quite impressed with these SB drivers. Compared to my Vienna Acoustics Bach speakers (1" Scanspeak dome tweeter and 17cm Seas woofer), these SBAcoustics drivers sound just as purely musical, but I feel like it removes a veil in the midrange nicely. And it has really good bass slam.

I even tried replacing the 17cm Seas driver in the VABachs with the SB17CRC. It was 2mm too big, but I buffered the cutout with foam tape and bolted it in. The tweeter was too bright, needed to be trimmed down, but wow, solid depth and slam in the 0.7cuft ported box. It would be an amazing upgrade if it just fit the existing cutout and the tweeter was padded down about 2-3db.

Next up is to source a measurement microphone and take some readings of in room performance, maybe further tweek the crossover. But I would be happy living as is with these speakers now.

Fun little project, and low barrier to entry. Highly recommended. Would do again!

Attachments

• 20240322_181500.jpg
    20240322_181500.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 55
Hi,

From the chart it appears that output for SB STC is only -10 dB down @1 kHz due to low slope of the filter. This means the tweeter will be receiving frequencies below it's recommended operating range, sugnificantly increasing distortion, lowering max. output power and inducing changing resistance due to heating of the voice coil(compression). It might become very apparent while playing loud when harmonics become high and sound is no longer clean and accurate.

Regards