SB Acoustic 3W

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I have been looking for a while for a 3 way project using SB Acoustic drivers. I wanted to have a small tower that can deliver good base extension and a great midrange for jazz and rock music. I have heard such a project in our regional DIY annual meeting but a lot of thing wheren't exactly what I wanted...
I found eactly what I wanted at Rabu Acoustic.

3 vejs Sb Acustics

Since I am mostly a cabinet maker, I am not capable of designing crossover or calculating phases etc... Rabu Acoustic is a Danish vender of Sb Acoustic that has designed a 3 way using on each side:

1 x SB-Acoustics SB29RDC-C000-4
1 x SB12MNRX25-4
2 x SB17NRXC35-8

I know that this combinaison of drivers is a winner, the only things I am worried about is the crossover design. As I said, I know nothing about crossover design but if you read the writeup of the design, his first music test was done with AC/DC and Megadeth....!!! I am no stranger to metal music but is it possible to evaluate a crossover design with that type of music ??

filterdiagram.png

Please reassure me ....I am about to start this great project!!!

THX

Hi Pierre !

See another project : Ekta GrandeScanSpeak 18W/
The crossover seems to be similar.

The genre of music doesn't determine the quality of listening.
I can test my loudspeaker with Pussy Cat Dolls , their disc is well done.
Classical music is better for tonal balance.
When i see this picture, no problem ...
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
One thing I find a little odd on that is the padding on the midrange is more than than on the tweeter. The tweeter is about 4.5db more efficient than the midrange, so I would have expected the tweeter to be more padded down that the mid...

Also with the dual woofers (at 89db sensitivity each) I would expect the mid with that much padding would be lacking...

Of course without seeing any measurements of the drivers on baffle I'm just speculating... I haven't tried to work out what the crossover points are with those components either.

I've just bought a pair of the SB12MNRX25-4's myself. Most impressed with the build quality!!
edit: I just modeled with my measured t/s params for the SB12 and adding 2.7 ohms series resistance drops the spl by about 2db at 5W input but also changes the QTS enough to get a much lower response out of the driver using a bigger volume (power handling is much worse though).

Tony.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.