Sanyo OS-CON any good ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Os-Con's in the signal path.

In my experince of using Os-Con caps for over 3 years in everything I touch, they work fine in the signal path. I personally think any thiness observed in the bass has to do specifically with the OS-CON capacitor 'opening up' the high frequencies. If the audio equipment is designed or executed with the other caps in place, and with shut in and muddied highs, then.. when you put the os-cons in there, it only stands to reason that they may seem to creat a exaggerated treble sound.

I fully contend it is the other way around.

None of my modded gear sounds thin in the bass. But the mechanical isloation, and clocking circuits and etc., etc., on my digital gear are fully stabilized, so treble stridency from digital gear is not something I get any of. I work with a mechanical and acoustical noise control expert and we do some fun and strange stuff. The amount of noise contyrol required even in the simple mechanical domain is truly staggering,and very few -if any- companies or individuals actually do it right.

Mechanical noise ? microphonics ?

The first time I have ever seen mechanical decoupling was yesterday when I got a Tektronix plugin from the sixties, it contains something of which I do not know what it is, may be a double transistor or nuvistor, it is a type W plugin high gain differential comparator.

This thing is mounted on 4 rubber stands to prevent mechanical "noise".

I can post a pic if somebody wants.

Regarding the OSCONS I found a place to put some in.
7 TDA 1541 parellel :xeye:

Bernhard said:
Mechanical noise ? microphonics ?

The first time I have ever seen mechanical decoupling was yesterday when I got a Tektronix plugin from the sixties, it contains something of which I do not know what it is, may be a double transistor or nuvistor, it is a type W plugin high gain differential comparator.

This thing is mounted on 4 rubber stands to prevent mechanical "noise".

I can post a pic if somebody wants.

Regarding the OSCONS I found a place to put some in.
7 TDA 1541 parellel :xeye:

do you think that oscone will perform better there, than the film caps?

Bricolo said:

do you think that oscone will perform better there, than the film caps?

Not for the 14 caps, but for the +5V and -5V supplies they are perfect.

Want some ? :D I make 90cent for you :D

220µF film caps are hard to find and very biiiigggg !!!!!
Maybe some small film cap parallel.

I plan the biggest DAC ever :devilr:

boards 100x160:

1x psu analog
1x psu digital
1x receiver / signalconditioner
7x tda1541
1x I/V / tube output stage
1x logic for on/off etc.

All that in a 19" frame.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Sounds like a C6W4 nuvistor tube. They are very microphonic.

It quite likely is...A nuvistor isn't microphonic per se but when you use it as a MC headamp you're dealing with high amplification stages at µV levels.

If it looks like this then it is a nuvistor:

Cheers,;)

Attachments

• aaa0274.jpg
    aaa0274.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 417
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
About MKL ( cellulose-acetate dieelectricum ) the document says:

optimal self healing capacity
high volume capacity
very high reliability
universal useable

Typical applications:

for use in aerospace/aeronautic applications.
for supplementation/complementation with electrolytic caps.
high reliability use in electronic circuits.

Nine years later, the list of players have changed for organic dielectric caps. New players include Nichicon and United/Nippon Chemi-Con. The voltage range has gone up somewhat, but you won't get a whole lot of capacitance at the higher voltage range. ESR is pretty low, and ripple current is astounding for such a small package. If you want a pencil eraser-sized cap that is rated for 5A ripple current these will do it, though you will wrestle with the capacitance - ESR product when stabilizing your loop. If you were depending on the ESR zero to help you (as with normal electrolytics), you might be in for a rude surprise.

Nine years later :D it's time to ask three questions:

What series (SA/SC/SH) do you recommend for which purpose? Farnell sells all
these three. I have the digital section of my CDP in mind as most here recommend
to not use them in analogue circuitry.

Secondly, RS components offer OsCons too, but they do not state which series.
Does anyone know about?

Last not least, I remember I've read somewhere Sanyo recently discontinued the
known Oscon capacitors and replaced them with inferior caps of the same name
- very confusing. Is this correct?

:confused:

THX !!

What series (SA/SC/SH) do you recommend for which purpose? Farnell sells all
these three. I have the digital section of my CDP in mind as most here recommend
to not use them in analogue circuitry.

For digital, any OSCON will do. For analog, SA would be my choice.

BTW, I use OSCON SC for both - digital bypass, analog bypass and coupling. It's not the best cap for coupling, since it has leakage current, but it's better than almost any traditional electrolytic for transparency. SC also has non-magnetic silver-plated brass leads, which wets and solders easily once you scrape the tarnish off (if any), and SC is also the only series available relatively easily to me.

You could also consider bypassing the OSCON with a Panasonic ECHU SMD PPS cap on the underside - something like 47nF or 100nF should be adequate for just about any application.

If the space is tight and the capacitance value is low enough, Wima MKS2 is a better choice for coupling. Black Gate PK is better than OSCON for analog bypassing (but more veiled than OSCON for coupling). However, it is now unobtainium and/or too expensive in most values for generic CDP/DVDP upgrades.

Edit: Don't use an OSCON for bypassing the output of 3-terminal regulator to ground - that's asking for instability.

Last edited:
For digital, any OSCON will do. For analog, SA would be my choice.

Edit: Don't use an OSCON for bypassing the output of 3-terminal regulator to ground - that's asking for instability.

Hi Ticktock,

The worse ESR you use after the output of 3-terminal regulator to ground, the better they sound. I use old nichicon here (SE serie) of the 80's or older cap with highest possible ESR 47 uf to 200 uF or 1500 and more but with protection for the thre pad regulator. It's for analog because with difital an oscon after a regulator works fine...

The very good esr (low) has with a regulator to be before it & near it.

If it helps : I try the green sanyo one as power cap for output of dac or cd players and found the sound has a bad tonal balance : no meat no flesh in bass and medium...with all aop, discrete or not. Found no better part here that Nichicon muse kz. Silmic 2 is bad here too and far better as dc stoper for output (try here the known conf with 2 in series: - + + - ).

But don't know for tubes....

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.