Sansui TU-9900 Restoration and Mods

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
And the new vibration insulaton feet from E-A-R. They are used by Bel Canto by the way...

Attachments

• new feet_small.jpg
    new feet_small.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 545
I added John Camille's "snubber" circuit after the fuse and before the transformer, see: http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/DIY.html

WARNING: Don't try to install this mod unless you know what you're doing. Sector AC voltages are lethal and you can damage your tuner for good.

I also selected what phase (L or N) give me the lowest AC leakage on the frame. I connected the AC inlet ground to the frame using a 0.47uF capacitor. Now the leakage is less than 0.3Vac.

This is complete my works on this tuner. Time to move to the next project.

Attachments

• snubber_small.jpg
    snubber_small.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 590
Hello everyone & I'm nearly finished the restoration of my beloved TU-9900 and have a question remaining. The service manual doesn't clearly indicate how to measure the power supply voltage, what leads to use. If anyone can advise me, would much appreciate it.

Also, I have to thank Algar_emi for providing his detailed information as it served me, a novice, as an ideal guideline!

Thank you!

John

I used my Clio system to do a FFT analysis at 1Khz, 0.5V.

Noise floor is as low as the CLIO system, at -120dBV, not bad :cool:

The 60Hz ripple from the supply is at -84dBV. I'll see if by replacing the supply rectifier diodes with soft recovery diodes and upgrading the supply caps, the noise floor and 60 hz peak came be lower. They may come from my signal generator also.

But it seems pretty hard to improve already.

I listen to a strong carrier without modulation and the noise floor is soo low, as the measurement are showing, that is perfect silence.

The noise level is very high. Nowadays -130..-140dB are state of the art.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.