Sample rates

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2003
I got a DVD with 24/96 PCM tracks and set the PCM output of my DVD player to 96KHz and works fine with the DIY DAC I have.
The weird thing is, when I hooked the digital out to my three year old computer speakers, the FPS2000 digital, I still get sound...I don't see how that can be when I'm sure that the FPS2000 was designed for the 48KHz sampling rate of the SBLive card. What's going on here?

The dvdplayers I've had have all handled bith dephts and sampling freq slightly different, many downconvert to 16/48.
Some ignore copyprotection flags and some don't but still downconvert etc.

The manuals sometimes describes how the player manages its digital output so if not done already I suggest you read it carefully.

Hi,
your dvd is prob 96/24, but most dvd players have only 48k output digital, because of some copy protection or so (silly).
the next problem is: 96k24bit has to much bit-rate for standard spdif interface, i think only the so-called professional aes-ebu can do this...
alf

This is a scan (sorry for the quality) from the Toshiba SD900 manual and it shows that the highest bitrate and sampling freq on its digital output are 16/48.

So yes, technically many support more but it has often been limited per design.

One player I know of that actually output 24 bits independantly of copy protection flags was my (region free and macrovision free by hardware) old Pioneer 717.

Attachments

• toshformatspec.jpg
    toshformatspec.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 167
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.