Salas SSLV1.3 UltraBiB shunt regulator

Hey Salas, good catch on R8 an 9. I was just seeing if someone would notice. Goid job, you get the gold star. All I had for R9 was 1k, so thats what I put in.

I wish I had flipped them around on the sink and put the dc outputs next to each other. My jumper runs from one "0" to the other across the sink. Hopefully no noise from that.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Noise and/or harshness. I have various grades 431 and a bunch of expensive precision references in my parts bin that I have tested with. I subjectively prefer passive I/V Norton to chips or Zener no matter the settling thermal drift. There is the VRR position to alternatively connect an active part or a thumbnail size Vref sub-assembly if you like to experiment on an actively referenced fixed output configuration. I regard the Vref part as a mostly contentious area in audio applications. If it was for a precision thing like in instrumentation applications I would certainly have followed another approach.

CRD "diodes" are noisier JFETs with more Vgs (off) than those particular JFETs. You can still sub them with CRDs if you won't use the 270R resistors and solder them across drain pad to gate pad or to resistor's bottom pad. But for higher than 6Vout apps.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Sound. This regulators series lends a detailed but generous kind of sound, that some people like, because of particular "odd" choices. Shunt inefficiency in a highly efficient chips world for one. Or a "stupid" unity gain simplistic passive Vref for another.

Wirewound are OK there for CC especially if Ayrton Perry wound. Because of one Vbe Vdrop only, thus low dissipation in most set up cases, there are many low ppm MF choices in 1-2W out there too.

Tempco Zeners are military stuff that can be ordered in high quantities only last time I checked. But they are the least noisy if you can get your hands on some.

Thank you Salas for your reply.
I've got a question about SMD - after all you PCB is kinda big, is there any plan for smaller PCB with SMD components?

MF resistors could be replaced with thick/thin film or even MELF.
Most small transistor could be replaced with BC8xx, JFETs could be replaced too.

I was thinking about diodes for bridge, why are you proposing FAST/SOFT diodes instead of schottky? Due to voltage drop? Capacitance (of diode), reverse leakage current.
It's rather hard for me to imagine that those diodes will require heatsinking.

I was asking about WW resistors due to their high inductance.

PS: I was thinking about Rf, it will form low pass filter with C1, how about forming LC filter instead of RC?
Choke could be placed after C1, so it will require another capacitor with resistor or high enough ESR to avoid resonance.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thank you Salas for your reply.
I've got a question about SMD - after all you PCB is kinda big, is there any plan for smaller PCB with SMD components?

MF resistors could be replaced with thick/thin film or even MELF.
Most small transistor could be replaced with BC8xx, JFETs could be replaced too.

I was thinking about diodes for bridge, why are you proposing FAST/SOFT diodes instead of schottky? Due to voltage drop? Capacitance (of diode), reverse leakage current.
It's rather hard for me to imagine that those diodes will require heatsinking.

I was asking about WW resistors due to their high inductance.

PS: I was thinking about Rf, it will form low pass filter with C1, how about forming LC filter instead of RC?
Choke could be placed after C1, so it will require another capacitor with resistor or high enough ESR to avoid resonance.

See post #199

Some Schottky have enough reverse voltage spec to cover the UBiB's whole range but the high ones have larger drop and are not as good as the low reverse ones in general. In my DCSTB that is a fixed +/- 17V PSU for the DCG3 preamp there are Schottky used for example. The diodes can go hot if the UBiB is going to be used in its medium and upper CC range. Constant current is punishing for dissipation. No break to breathe. Can go to 1.5A with the Fairchild M1s as given or even higher if with slower powerful types (on some HF resolution loss penalty).

LC can be done if connecting an external choke in Rf's place. Of course it should be checked in Duncan's PSU simulator for rectified voltage and peaking.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
What do I have to change if I want to run one of these new regulators with higher voltages? I actually would like to use it for 80V approx. and around 100mA CC.

Substitute J1 & J3 with resistors. 33K 1W in your case. Sub their whole systems across, no source resistors remain. Lowered spec but it will stand the voltages. Higher VR1 also, 50K. VRR 220K.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I mean omit J1, J3, R4, R8, and solder the 33K resistors from drain pad to gate pad or to R4, R8 bottom pad. Also remember that those are not active current sources with same current at all voltages anymore so the values I gave you are optimized for 40V and over.