Salas hotrodded blue DCB1 build

Almost done...

DSC00292.JPG

DSC00296.JPG

They seem to be pretty much what I'm using. They can work, as long as you don't run the high currents.

Calculate it:

Power in CSS MOSFET = CSS current * Vin - Vout
Power in Reg MOSFET = CSS current * Vout (worst case)

For every watt of power, you'll run 7 degrees over ambient, so say with 2watts you'll get a temp raise of ~14degrees. Add to that the juntion-to-case and case-to-sink resistance.

For example let's say approx 20 degrees temp raise. If your ambient is 30, you're still good to go.

EDIT: And Salas beat me to it ;)

I'm running ~120mA with about 11 volt output voltage and .. hmm ... 18V input, IIRC.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I've just rehoused my blue hypno and replaced the PEC pots with a Valab 20k stepped attenuator from ebay; what a revelation the sound stage size has increased somewhat particularly the depth!.For £20 delivered this is an audio bargain; although I think somebody posted that they were experiencing noise problems after a few months use. I will have to wait and see but in the mean time I'll enjoy its performance.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hotrod Stage 2 (~600mA) installed

After 4 weeks of waiting, perhaps the postman swum over the ocean, :D
the 3R3 Mills MRA05 resistors from Partsconnexion arrived.

They replace the Dale NS-5 10R i had insert before.
Because i won´t disassemble the whole pcb again, i soldered them
on the stand´s from the upper side and so the solder point´s
doesn´t look so perfect...:blush:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The 2nd modification goes to the OVC-Shunt. Here i swap the installed 22R (~90mA) with the Dale NS-5 10R (~200mA).

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Now let´s see and listen what will change...
It will take a few days till i could report back, because i am burning in some new tubes
in my Tube-I-zator output stage of my DAC to do some tube rolling. ;)

:cheers: