Salas hotrodded blue DCB1 build

The best I've seen... Thanks Scorpion - excellently built!

Regards

Thanks a lot Turbon. I did my best with my limited electronic knowledge (thanks to Salas and all ...without whom my DCB1 would have taken forever to build).

Now, it sounds very very musical and natural but I will need to fine-tune it further to get perfect balance I'll do that by swapping different "resistor flavors" in the audio path (just 3 total).

I will start swapping the first ones this afternoon and report on the changes per swap.

Should you have any interest in the results, go see the "Salas DCB1 resistor tryouts" a little later today.

Thanks again for your comments.

Regards
Scorpion

Thanks a lot Turbon. I did my best with my limited electronic knowledge (thanks to Salas and all ...without whom my DCB1 would have taken forever to build).

Now, it sounds very very musical and natural but I will need to fine-tune it further to get perfect balance I'll do that by swapping different "resistor flavors" in the audio path (just 3 total).

I will start swapping the first ones this afternoon and report on the changes per swap.

Should you have any interest in the results, go see the "Salas DCB1 resistor tryouts" a little later today.

Regards
Scorpion
Would be really interesting to test the chosen resistors against a stock carbon and a stock metal film resistor ( standard ones ) to see if it pays off to go for higher end material.

Thanks Davym, now it would be great to understand what is happening here, as the math does not match the practice here. 220uF might be a little on the big side, and the Yageo cap might not be the best choice ( I never use electrolytics as coupling caps ). Also the bass does not seem quite right, it is a bit untidy, perhaps the 10uF MKP has to go, three caps in parallel is probably too much to get the timing right and avoid phase shifting. Will expiriment some more this evening...

Answering my own question here for future reference and to set things straight.

I tried different capacitors on the output of the squeezebox receiver, amongst them a 4,7uF. All the caps did have a better bass response than the one that I had put in there, which was a Vishay MKP1820 10uF.

Then I looked up my notes made during modification, and there it was: chose the Vishay because it sounded brighter. That was with the 50K Alps pot, which muffled the sound thus needing to be brightened up with the output cap. Ergo: the Vishay MKP1820 appears to be bass shy, and math does work:D.

Currently the combination of a K73-16 10uF // K42Y 0.22uF is playing, peace in the bass region is back and with more hours playing it starts to sound better and better. Must say that the tried electrolytic did not sound half as bad as I expected, only really beaten by the current combination by a bigger presentation

Now one problem left: getting these big caps inside the rather small case of the squeezebox:magnify:

Regards
Scorpion

I confused about 3 resistors (You mentioned - "just 3 total").
I see only two 220R resistors in signal path in each channel. Have you considered volume attenuator as a third one? Or "Load" one as a third for 220K?

Regards
Scorpion

Yes, I'm interested in the result so could you share your BOM please :). Including case and so forth down to what screws you used ;)

Regards

Yes, I'm interested in the result so could you share your BOM please :). Including case and so forth down to what screws you used ;)

Regards

Absolutely Turbon, no problem. Could do a BOM. The board wich is in at the moment I call the "test board" only because I soldered pigtails to facilitate resistor swaps. I do have a "final board" wich I will put in as replacement once the "synergistically optimal audio path resistors" will be chosen.

No difference between the boards except that the components on the "final board" will be even more closely matched.

Therefore, the "test board" will be available for grab.

I also NOTED wich kind of solder I used (4 different types total with more silver and/or copper content, depending) per position so I will be able to exactly duplicate the end results.

Just never talked about the "solder thing" or else it would have driven my good friend AndrewT into serious nervous breakdown and/or convulsions !!! ;-)

No pun intended Andrew, I am just laughing at myself here. Let's relax and enjoy.

Regards
Scorpion

4 different solders have just multiplied the number of combinations by a factor of 4.

But maybe you will discover that the solder type makes no difference when the joint is properly made.

I know about the factor of 4 and am having fun with it. Wrote it on purpose to tease you a bit (no pun intended).

Before starting my actual career in the health field, I used to work for Bombardier Aerospace in Montreal until the late 90's or so (I know, very different career choices). That is where I learned a tips or two about drawing/ assembling. ..and soldering !!!

So, a properly made solder joint is not an issue.

If you can't hear a difference between a generic 60/40 solder and say, a 9% silver-content solder, then you seriously have to question your system's transparency and ability to bring out the small nuances. Just like I told you in the other thread.

In fact, if you can't, I feel for you.

Regards
Scorpion

Last edited:
Feel for me too!

And science, feel for science.

Then I do.

And I also feel for science with little "s" ...like when actual knowledge is considered the end of the road.

Ever wondered why unexplained and unknown stuff get discovered everyday? Keeping a closed mind is in complete opposition with the very basics of science.

How it can't be understood is beyond me.

I know about the factor of 4 and am having fun with it. Wrote it on purpose to tease you a bit (no pun intended).

Before starting my actual career in the health field, I used to work for Bombardier Aerospace in Montreal until the late 90's or so (I know, very different career choices). That is where I learned a tips or two about drawing/ assembling. ..and soldering !!!

So, a properly made solder joint is not an issue.

If you can't hear a difference between a generic 60/40 solder and say, a 9% silver-content solder, then you seriously have to question your system's transparency and ability to bring out the small nuances. Just like I told you in the other thread.

In fact, if you can't, I feel for you.

Regards
Scorpion

You are joking yes......
I have seen many assemblies tested with different solders and never known the solder used to have any effect on the signal, I have even asked some (including one on here) who do silly things and measurements down to silly levels a magnitude finer than the ones I have been party to and they have never seen any difference due to solder type.
Soldering is one of the most studied and documented processes in the electronics world, you would have thought that signal integrity issues due to solder composition would have been noticed by now?

Last edited: