Salas hotrodded blue DCB1 build

7-10V DCin-DCout for the regs is OK. There is no problem with maxDCin other than heat.

Thank you!

I have massive heat sinks ( 2 pieces 10" x 4" x 1") which makes me think that +14 VDC in should not really matter....

I guess it could be worth a shot! At least on the test bench, where I can monitor the heat being produced. I can borrow a remote temperature sensing gun for the event.

I suppose that inserting a resistance in series with L is not a good idea? or maybe CLCRC to reduce the voltage?

If your current draw is constant, then an added resistor will drop a constant voltage.
That is a good way to move some of the dissipation from the semiconductors to fixed Power Resistors.

The CCS in the DCB1 ensures that the current draw is constant. Therefore use a resistor with appropriate dissipation capability related to value selected.

If your current draw is constant, then an added resistor will drop a constant voltage.
That is a good way to move some of the dissipation from the semiconductors to fixed Power Resistors.

The CCS in the DCB1 ensures that the current draw is constant. Therefore use a resistor with appropriate dissipation capability related to value selected.

Thanks AndrewT!

If I follow, here is an example: For 600 ma per device, a total current of 2.4 A is flowing. Given R=V/I to drop 3.6 volts would take a 1.5 ohm resistor.

Since P=IV, the dissipation is near 5.4 watts. A 20 watt resistor on each polarity would be very reliable.

I do have some questions though...

Can the 20 watt resistor be attached directly to the secondary? ie Transformer secondary -> Resistor -> Diodes -> Cap bank? Or is CRC preferred? (I think it does not matter where)

What is recommended max dissipation for the 20 watt Resistor? ( Is it 1/3rd of the rating? )

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Thanks AndrewT!

If I follow, here is an example: For 600 ma per device, a total current of 2.4 A is flowing. Given R=V/I to drop 3.6 volts would take a 1.5 ohm resistor.

Since P=IV, the dissipation is near 5.4 watts. A 20 watt resistor on each polarity would be very reliable.

I do have some questions though...

Can the 20 watt resistor be attached directly to the secondary? ie Transformer secondary -> Resistor -> Diodes -> Cap bank? Or is CRC preferred? (I think it does not matter where)

What is recommended max dissipation for the 20 watt Resistor? ( Is it 1/3rd of the rating? )

Thanks again!
Put the added R between two sets of C, i.e. rCRC
The first rC Filters some of the HF.
The second RC filters a lot more of the HF and some of the MF.
The combination rCRC manages to filter most of the 100/120Hz from the mains fundamental after rectification.

I would suggest that no resistor have a continuous dissipation exceeding 50% of maximum at that Ta. Inside a hot chassis that could be <30% to 40% of the cold maximum rating.

How did you arrive at 2.4A from 600mA? (not 600ma)