Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)

Since we haven't even touched our projects, I think we sould find a way to delay Jesper's progress:D I have done this with knitting thread on a black board back in school era and I allways was curious how it would be like to scratch it on acrylic and place it above light. It's not going to be transparent. I' m just not sure for the effect... PCB etching? You could use UV sensitive boards to transfer the patern. It is far more accurate.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 649
By the way what value pot you now use? Looks like an Alpha pot size or something alike.

Hi Salas, and thanks for fixing my pictures!

I use a pot like this, i bought some years ago DACT Type 21 Stepped Attenuator / Volume 20K for Preamp ** Hi Fi Grade ** | eBay

I did listening to my preamp most of the day, and your'e right that it need some kind of ventilation on lid. (I didnt't expect otherwise :eek:)
As you can see, i carefully did the wiring inside so that signal lines, and mains etc.. are separated; this result in absolute quiet amp. now :)

Speaking of layout, i decided to use a tiny xlr connector for my can's, and i really like those connectors. I also cutted my brandnew AKG's cable for soldering in a tiny xlr here (there goes my warranty :smash:)...

Good evening to all!

Jesper.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2016-12-11 21-31-38.png
    Screenshot from 2016-12-11 21-31-38.png
    301.6 KB · Views: 609
Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I had used such pots a couple of times. For channel balance they are excellent of course and the sound is good enough. The thing that reflects their affordable price is their not too great service life. But fair enough.

Your (nice) build especially houses extra dissipation from a DAC and its supply inside, its not a tall box also, so it should be made to breath form somewhere somehow for better long term reliability. Although the 105C capacitors are not scared that much, cooler is always better lifespan for all its components.

I like the connector you used also, as for warranty don't worry because the K240s have detachable cable. Its not an integral part. In case a joint breaks in the headband or the membranes decide to buzz you don't have to return it for service with the cable. You lost it :D You want to exchange it or sell it, buy a new cable.

Its a very serviceable model due to the professionals use it forever, every part is available to replace. http://cloud.akg.com/10909/k240studio.pdf

BTW I was a bit afraid you may catch hum from somewhere with those mains sockets near to inputs, DAC, etc. but somehow you made it silent. :)

I had used such pots a couple of times. For channel balance they are excellent of course and the sound is good enough. The thing that reflects their affordable price is their not too great service life. But fair enough.

Your (nice) build especially houses extra dissipation from a DAC and its supply inside, its not a tall box also, so it should be made to breath form somewhere somehow for better long term reliability. Although the 105C capacitors are not scared that much, cooler is always better lifespan for all its components.

I like the connector you used also, as for warranty don't worry because the K240s have detachable cable. Its not an integral part. In case a joint breaks in the headband or the membranes decide to buzz you don't have to return it for service with the cable. You lost it :D You want to exchange it or sell it, buy a new cable.

Its a very serviceable model due to the professionals use it forever, every part is available to replace. http://cloud.akg.com/10909/k240studio.pdf

BTW I was a bit afraid you may catch hum from somewhere with those mains sockets near to inputs, DAC, etc. but somehow you made it silent. :)

Yes completely silent.

Also I am satisfied with the dact style attenuator, the 50k I ordered long ago never showed up. (Just wrote him an asked what to do next)

I used as you guys here suggested, coax cables, and as you see, they are away from nasty high voltage mains. I don't think the raspberry dac, makes much noise, and I like to have it inside my pre. The psu for the dac, is outside connected via the 3 pole mic connector. The 4 pole mic connector is ethernet (yes only 4 wires are needed).

Nice that spareparts are easy obtained for cans, giving some sort of quality feeling when company's handle things like that I suppose.

Jesper.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes completely silent.

Also I am satisfied with the dact style attenuator, the 50k I ordered long ago never showed up. (Just wrote him an asked what to do next)

I used as you guys here suggested, coax cables, and as you see, they are away from nasty high voltage mains. I don't think the raspberry dac, makes much noise, and I like to have it inside my pre. The psu for the dac, is outside connected via the 3 pole mic connector. The 4 pole mic connector is ethernet (yes only 4 wires are needed).

Nice that spareparts are easy obtained for cans, giving some sort of quality feeling when company's handle things like that I suppose.

Jesper.
With all those ground returns from computer, power amp, extra external supply, etc. plus those bang in the middle AC mains sockets and power amp switched feed in a challenged space its not always easy to make it all silent so congrats for that.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
:DWOHOO! I see that in Tea-Bag's signature it reads "Shipping Now". I have the case for my DCG3 allready waiting for boards and my soldering hand is getting itchy...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I have, I expect it will take up to a week more to get all orders from various Salas boards out. Endicia should send you an email typically 1 day before it hits the post office. The declared value is in the email. The tracking ID may not work outside of the US, but is now showing delivery confirmation in more and more countries even with first class mail flats.

Let me know if there are any questions about the kits. I have added a few pictures and explanation of the transistor and part kits for the DCG-3 in my building blog.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/blogs/tea-bag/1340-salas-dcg-3-preamplifier-dcstb-power-supply.html

These parts are small, and all the Dale Resistors look nearly identical, so use a loupe or magnifying glass to sort out your resistors and even small TO92 size ones as well.

Hi Salas

Back in September, you said you may be able to compare your DCG3 setup (with DCSTB) with your friends setup that uses shunt PS.
Did you get a chance to compare the two and if so, any differences regarding SQ?

Thanks

@ massimo

"4. Power supply: you proposed a dedicated series PS. No shunt regs this time (i.e. SSLV1.1)? Does the DCSTB sounds better with this circuit? If I would like to use the SSLV1.1 should I leave out C6/C7 or fit a couple of low value resistors before these caps?"

4. ...........I can only tell you how near to using shunts when I will compare a fully done boxed preamp to my friend's that has the shunt. ...........

Hi.

I am really looking forward to hear, what brave builders will tell, when they finally will hear this spectacular preamp. on they're main hifi :)
Maybee someone will success around newyear ? -Maybee before ?

I can for sure tell, that people in this thread are very helpfull, and polite. Thanks for that, and let's keep this attitude along.

Mine DCG3 has several hour's of playing now, and i promished Salas that i will make some meassurements to see if everything is still good inside my little green-house of a small chassis :p ...

Too bee continuied

Jesper.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Salas

Back in September, you said you may be able to compare your DCG3 setup (with DCSTB) with your friends setup that uses shunt PS.
Did you get a chance to compare the two and if so, any differences regarding SQ?

Thanks

Unfortunately he is too busy with work and family so we did not come to do that A/B comparison. He only told me that in his view (since he had boxed up mine and had listened to it well) its the pcb that made a large enough difference giving a lead to mine. He was able to conclude that after he redone his on the last sample pcb I had and gifted to him.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
BTW I forgot to mention that he also told me that he made one other matrix board copy following the pcb layout for his mate and that one came closer also now as he termed that pcb prototype layout "clever". He has a mate with a multiamped Infinity IRS Gamma vintage speakers system and another one with Apogee. They had both shed their previous preamps for DCG3s. They are not headphones listeners. They got expensive vinyl rigs and tubes, Goldmund, Threshold, some current feedback DIY power amps, mostly.

Wow, sounds like you've created a winner here! Congratulations :D

BTW I forgot to mention that he also told me that he made one other matrix board copy following the pcb layout for his mate and that one came closer also now as he termed that pcb prototype layout "clever". He has a mate with a multiamped Infinity IRS Gamma vintage speakers system and another one with Apogee. They had both shed their previous preamps for DCG3s. They are not headphones listeners. They got expensive vinyl rigs and tubes, Goldmund, Threshold, some current feedback DIY power amps, mostly.