Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hello Salas, thank you forr all the advice, the pre is sounding excellent. Goldpoint pot arrives today. We'll see how that works out.
The voltages across R3 are 1.014/1.003 Volts.
Thank you again.

You are welcome. Those R3 drops show tail currents within spec and in consistency between channels.
4.56mA & 4.54mA. Nice to know about the positive subjective results in your system too.
Keep us posted on how the 25k Goldpoint will blend. Is it the classic series attenuation type? They don't offer other style I think.

How is it going in the meantime? Did you let it rest waiting to be boxed or you clocked some further music replay time with it?

Hello,

I'm almost finished. I designed and ordered the front on monday. With luck it will be delivered at the end of next weeek. The front will look similar to my dac, like a family build :)

The DCG-3 is fully functional and I'm enjoy listening music to this amp. The only thing to do when the frontplate is delivered is finish the wiring in the front, mounting the display with volume control and installing a seperate "mini"-Powersupply for the volume/remote control with standby switch ability.

Soundwise the amp is getting better day by day. I own a chord mojo, questyle cma400i (with AK4490 DAC inside) and an audio-gd nfb28 (2016). The dcg-3 is beating the audio-gd and the questyle a lot. The mojo sounds almost on the same level but in comparison to the dcg-3 sometimes kind of agressive but not bad.

Greetings

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    977.2 KB · Views: 401
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    656.6 KB · Views: 392
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    690.8 KB · Views: 385
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Turning out nicely. But don't forget to also put a couple of line out RCAs on the back panel. You may add a power amp and speakers to the system someday.

The DAC/AMPS you own are famous and very highly regarded in the international headphones forums. You listen to them individually vs the DAM+DCG3 as a combo only or you also feed the DCG3 from their line outputs listening to various DAC/DCG3 combos?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
When imagining further combos by also feeding the DAM to all those AMP sections soon enough the plot thickens. Basically you collected and built some range of gear coming from different schools of digital and analogue domain architecture with a variety of max power or output drive style so to can best match all kind of your now owned and future purchase headphones plus stay busy combining. Because no transducer is completely neutral. Hmm... that's some carefully crafted strategic audio planning. :D

Well, people must be kept busy ;)

All this items have been collected during my journey into sound :D

One of the first was the audio-gd which was a little bit of disappointing. Even in germany it's difficult to test/hear the equipment before you buy it, especially when you are searching equipment that is not mainstream. There haven been many other before.

We will see what's next... I'm thinking of a new headphone... the next journey :cool:

You are welcome. Those R3 drops show tail currents within spec and in consistency between channels.
4.56mA & 4.54mA. Nice to know about the positive subjective results in your system too.
Keep us posted on how the 25k Goldpoint will blend. Is it the classic series attenuation type? They don't offer other style I think.

Got the Goldpoint attenuator installed, very transparent, I think the bass is a tad lower. Perhaps it needs a break-in period? The pot needs to be rotated more than the 50k to achieve the same loudness level.

Salas, you mentioned adjusting the input resistors, make them 2.2 K instead of 3.3? What would you suggest? Thanks

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Got the Goldpoint attenuator installed, very transparent, I think the bass is a tad lower. Perhaps it needs a break-in period? The pot needs to be rotated more than the 50k to achieve the same loudness level.

Salas, you mentioned adjusting the input resistors, make them 2.2 K instead of 3.3? What would you suggest? Thanks

The Goldpoint has a slower audio taper curve than many other pots. Arguably more suitable for today's many loud sources. Different value pots of same log curve design do not open slower or faster they just load the source with another impedance and also show to the receiver another insertion impedance.

For 50k and 25k classic series configuration pots the insertion impedance reaches a max of 12.5k vs 6.25k when the wiper sits exactly at half value. So some of your system synergistic roundness loss after replacing the 50k is perhaps not only due to the new 25k switch pot's superb clarity but also due to faster rise time of the preamp's supersonic input filter when seeing less total incoming impedance. After some play time to have made sure you need tonal changes, do the following:

Try 1k to 5.6k Rx resistors in series with the new pot's outputs. Almost by 1k step at a time for fine tuning. When you will find your system's perfect tonal balance remove them. Replace each channel's R1 with a new value R1'=R1+Rx.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Me I had used the V24 50K Log at the start. But after having partially redone my speakers (other mid driver and crossover changes) I went with a 20K cheap switcher. I miss the quality of the Goldpoint but its kΩ value effect on the preamp wasn't best complimenting my system anymore. Now it sits in a spares box :(

Attachments

• GPNTV2450K.jpg
    GPNTV2450K.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 478
Hi
A little update on what i will try with the preamp

i will take some time..still waiting for trafoes and opamp

first think to do is trafo
next bc327
then opamp
and maybe some change to supply---have some komponent i must try

i need stil some burn in ..but the sound is very close to what i like