Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)

Footnote, the temp reading is with the DCG3 sitting atop both F4 amps. I need to move the preamp and measure again!!

I really doubt 58c is possible, has to be the heat from the F4's.

My DCG3 is in the 2107 chassis. The mosfets are mounted to the BOTTOM plate via a 1/2 bar, not the heatsinks (due to layout) and and I am running lm317/337 mounted to the bottom plate. AND a cap multiplier.

Chassis temp at 150ma bias is low...low enough I haven't cared to measure...probably 40C. Even right under the mosfets.

Attachments

• IMG_0677.JPG
    IMG_0677.JPG
    772.7 KB · Views: 612
Joined 2009
Paid Member
With an aluminum bar interface between the Mosfets and this ribbed side panel/sink it will do well for 100mA bias level at least. The bar will add mass and contact area. The side panel is then in direct contact with the room air and that helps. Use thermal paste between bar and panel.

This is what I did and the chassis side gets only mildly warm with 120ma of bias.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The dc on the output measure at 0.2 and 0.3mv so still good.

I measured the Leaks and the good side reads 56R whilst the bad one is open circuit :( I did manage to get them apart and a very fine wire coming out of the speaker unit is broken. Just need to find a way of getting this apart.

So what happened? You managed to fix them, or you bought something new?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I don't have direct experience with that amp, member drpro uses DCG3 with F4, but I can read Nelson stating in its manual that it can go 40V pk-pk max before clipping.

If you want all that for your speakers I guess you can up the DCG3's rails to +/-20V too and fix its gain to 7 times assuming a 2V RMS digital source (2*2.83=5.66V pk-pk. 40/5.66=7 or 17dB).
You will also need a compatible rails spec JFET type servo op-amp (OPA 2604 takes up to +/- 24 for example) and good sinking for the output stage. Keep it at 100-125mA bias if you don't have to best drive low impedance headphones too so it stays cooler on the now higher rails and use green voltage dropping Leds to the relay coil (those three in a row).

If you also want the DCSTB as PSU there are provisions to up its voltage outputs by calculating much higher value resistors in place of the 1 Ohm RxJ, RyJ. How to is in the manual. You would also want 20-0-20 spec trafos now.

Nelson wrote that 14dB preamp gain was good levels in a big room with 93dB sensitive speakers and an F4. That's 5X gain and if you also have sensitive speakers you may just fix it to that gain and not modify anything else in the DCG3.

I am currently going through a pair of Jensen transformers to achieve balance out from the DCG3 to drive a pair of F4 amps. I also have built a Pass BA3 preamp which has a bit more voltage swing than the DCG3. I would say you would be quite happy with the DCG3 driving your F4. I also have a Pass F6 that I want to use with the DCG3.
Had a bit of mechanical problems drilling the front of the case which came from the DIY shop. I have a work around and once that is done then I will move the DCG3 to the room with the F6.

I had my wife take a listen as her hearing is much better than mine. I have been doing a swap out with the AD823 opamp and a Sparkolabs SS3602 discrete amp. Her preference is the AD823, though I am partial to the SS3602. Both devices sound awesome in the DCG3. Just my take.

David