Sachiko dual horn cabinets. Anyone tried them?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, one type of cabinet is really designed for one type of driver (low Q), and the other is designed for other types of drivers (mid-Q, with low Q + added resistance as an option), so direct comparisons are difficult.

FWIW, the small-chamber, long path designs provide more gain over a wider passband, theoretically control the driver better at high SPLs, and will sound a little more immediate; a little more dynamic if you prefer, sacrificing a little smoothness in the response to do so. The BVRs; large chambers with short waveguides, are intrinsically smoother / flatter in their response, are an easier & less complicated build, but they won't go quite as loud without distorting as the small-chamber types.

Sorry, i am losing track of whats what? KimChe? Chilli Chang?

In engineering you normally designate a name or first letter after the function, then include Rev. status with ADCN notes (Advanced Dwg Change Notice, witch are revs not folded into the current rev level).

Example:

PUTES-01 (Plate ultrasonic edge scan) first drawing
PUTES Rev A Plate ultrasonic edge scan) Rev A
PUTES Rev A, ADCN 001 (same as above but i saw a better way to do something minor/cheaper)
PUTES Rev B incorporated all recent ADCNs
PUTES Rev B Redline Changed something on the current Dwg during Mfg. (We NEVER get it right the first time) Most i ever Redlined was the hardening of computer enclosures for EMP.

All this helps define what the current status is. And gives a reason for my boss to ask " Mr. Ron ,why didnt you see this problem during design....are you ever going to finish the project?

Yall are confusing an old man.

ron

Scottmoose said:
FWIW, the small-chamber, long path designs provide more gain over a wider passband, theoretically control the driver better at high SPLs, and will sound a little more immediate; a little more dynamic if you prefer, sacrificing a little smoothness in the response to do so. The BVRs; large chambers with short waveguides, are intrinsically smoother / flatter in their response, are an easier & less complicated build, but they won't go quite as loud without distorting as the small-chamber types. [/B]

Got you there. makes sense. The smaller the back chamber or more restriction, the less easy to move the cone mass, due to air pressure.

Right, though in practice, the difference can often be smaller than you'd think -I've seen BVRs control the driver better than a mediocre BLH. Incidentally, although the term BVR has come to refer to a large chamber / short waveguide combination, in reality you can argue that it is applicable to most chambered BLHs (arguably compound horns aside).

I have a set of Sachikos. If anyone is around the Iowa City area you are free to take a listen. As for comparing them to other designs, I cant help you out. I have no time under my belt listening to any other FR designs.

Sachiko sitting next to my Dual 15" HWK (decware design)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The day I first wired them up, they have been moved as they are leaps and bounds larger than my previous speakers (8" JBL Decades)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

sachiko for lowther (or fostex f208 sigma enclosure ???)

Hello everyone,

I bought a pair of LOWTHER EX 3 driver recently and intended to make a voigt pipe with them ( I considered realizing "classical" lowther design but I 'm a bit afraid of the work ; I prefer design only involving right angles).

But recently I have discovered the SACHIKO horn and I was seduced by the concept. I was wondering if this easy to build design will fit an EX3 ? I read all I can about sachiko on the forum but havn't found yet the answer....

1° Is SACHIKO has good result with lowther ? Does anyone as already build a SACHIKO horn with lowther driver ?

2° I consider too building the recommended fostex enclosure for F208sigma as it has good comments on the sound and the construction only involve right angles. What about the result with Lowther ?

Thanks for your advices !

As for my opinion of them, yes, they sound great! Good enough that I have no plans on building any other designs to even try. what i think i have been most surprised with is how large the box sounds. music and movies fill my room, like an array of sorts. Highs are clearer than the JBLs and the lows are about the same (slowly getting better). I like the 'big' feeling, the full wall of sound coming at your face. These fit in just great for what I am looking for.

IowaDave said:
Music and movies fill my room, like an array of sorts. I like the 'big' feeling, the full wall of sound coming at your face. These fit in just great for what I am looking for.

In many ways, that's exactly what they are, or have much in common with anyway. Closest to some of the nearfield line-arrays with a single central tweeter. Glad you like them -scale & dynamics was a priority with these boxes, so it's good to get more feedback confirming that people are finding they're working as intended. :)

You should find the LF will steadily improve over the next year. Thing is, excursion with these boxes is pretty low / well-controlled, so getting the drivers to Xmax & loosening up the suspension is tricky without cranking them to ear-bleeding SPLs.

Hi Scottmoose, This is Andy, I sent you those pictures. I got sick and was away for a period. I will post pictures and finding. I have them hookup to my 45 home brew tube amp. A few people just drop their jaw and admire the sound. It is one of my favorite speakers compare to ALK Cornwall, Lascala, Altec A7, Edgarhorn, and others. Thanks for the plan and advice. I am in Southern Cal; you're welcome to visit!

Sachiko Aka Madisons

Although I didn't build them I have a pair of Sachiko aka Madisons made by Jeff Carder of CarderSound. I absolutely love them. They have the transparency of speed of the best electrostatics & ribbons, the wall of sound from loading the floor and ceiling of a linesource, the efficiency of horns and the bass of a dynamic driver!

Really what more could anyone ask for?

Thetubeguy1954

Attachments

• my system.jpg
    my system.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,447
Sachiko aka Madison

NickC said:
i too am using the sachiko horns first with the fostex 206. I felt the fostex was a limiting factor.

Currently i am using one with a pair of AER md3 drivers.
Doing more tweaking to get the right balanced AER has a lot more resolution than the fostex

Hello NickC! Besides the AER having more resolution what other differences are there with the AER driver installed in the Sachiko vs Fostex FE206E driver?
==============================================
Scottmoose, do you think I'd be better off installing my FE206ES-R vs the AER driver? I've heard the FE206ES-R also has more resolution and better bass than the stock FE206E does but, I wonder if will sound better than the AER will? I could be wrong but isn't the FE206ES-R closer to the FE206E specs than the AER is?
John L. Thanks for thumbs up on the Rosewood veneer. I ordered it as an upgrade simply because I love how Rosewood looks! I also upgraded the internal wire with a gold/silver/copper alloy that's 24K gold plated. Obviously the wire upgrade was for improved sound quality!
For all Sachiko users. I have a tweak I'd like to share that costs absolutely NOTHING to try for yourself. I've raised the front of my Sachiko/Madison cabinets 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch off the floor ---{while leaving the rear of the cabinet on the floor}--- this effectively caused them to lean backwards, which in turn greatly enhanced soundstage depth while helping slightly with more centerfill. It also subjectively smoothed out the frequecy response very nicely as well!

Thetubeguy1954

Rational Subjectivism, It's An Acquired Taste.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.