S9 OB - Revisiting narrow baffles

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Some more progress... completed the H-Frame woofers.

The frame considerably relieve some pressure to the woofers as compared to plain baffle. I did not notice coloration (1/2 pipe resonance?) as my earlier build.

XO is quote high at 300Hz. initially I thought running the P13 low was a good idea until I did a test with single tones. It distorts audibly at around 130Hz and below. I don't know how this was not identified by Ariel builders.

DSC_9880b.jpg

XO is quote high at 300Hz. initially I thought running the P13 low was a good idea until I did a test with single tones. It distorts audibly at around 130Hz and below. I don't know how this was not identified by Ariel builders.

It is not the same baffle. Two drivers and the transmission line in this area limit the overall cone displacement and reduce the distortion.

Thanks for the explanation.

I actually did few tests. With and without dipole shelving lowpass (which would have added to more distortion). I actually thought it was not related to the driver themselves but xo clipping,etc. But after connecting them directly to amp the distortion persist.

I did some more research about this distortion, and could only find a reference from linkwitzlab. I read it before, but did not know it was that severe.

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/mid_dist.htm

The Vifa drivers 10 and 11 exhibited very good burst behavior, something one might have expected for the small cones. Unfortunately, they audibly strain even at the modest volume displacements of this test series.

I don't have other 5" to make comparison with. Do they all distort rather quickly at lower frequencies?

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/frontiers_3.htm#O

Yes !

In this document page 13, you have a response

A number of 4 inch midrange drivers have been tested: SEAS W11CY001, Vifa PL11WH-00-08, ETON 4-300 and one 5 inch driver, SEAS T14RCY-P-H. None of the 4 inch drivers had sufficient membrane area to cope with playing at higher levels. They start “yelling” or “honking”. I asked Linkwitz about this problem:

The "yelling" of your small drivers is due to nonlinear distortion, basically due to insufficient linear volume displacement capability. It is not a function of electrical or mechanical damping, but due to drivers of too small size for a dipole.
Siegfried Linkwitz.

The problem is less apparent in a box but still present. I avoid to use a 5 inch driver too low in frequency. We need these small drivers because they have good dispersion in the upper midrange and treble.

Last edited:
Thanks for that link and the tips. It would take me sometimes to digest.

I'm glad that I did not build my H-frames too deep otherwise the resonance will ruin it. They reproduce 300Hz fine without peaks, so a good match with P13WH.

I tested P13WH with single 290Hz tone at very loud level and do not hear any audible distortion. I may have to run a HD sweep to make sure.

Finally, this is to conclude this iteration :hphones:

DSC_9877b.jpg

What I have learnt/gain:
- Very smooth on and off axis up to 2.5khz due to thin baffle
- Very satisfying auditory presentation. And I have glass at the back.
- Pretty good aesthethics compared to previous iteration
- Cheap

What I wish for:
- P13WH to have lower response. I had to cross them at 290Hz.

5" drivers make good OB, and if I have to start over from scratch I would try that driver from Zaph ZA14W08 + DQ25SC16-04 tweeters. I think they will make a killer OB panel at less then $200.

... and now to the S10 :D

Last edited:
5" drivers make good OB, and if I have to start over from scratch I would try that driver from Zaph ZA14W08 + DQ25SC16-04 tweeters. I think they will make a killer OB panel at less then $200.

... and now to the S10 :D

Is the price $200 for each side? I like to suggest you may want to use Eminence alpha 8 as midrange, proves to very easy to drive and very efficient, use it with HI-VI 8 planar tweeter, this combo is used quite successfully by G. Pimm. You can buy Alpha 8 in Melb and Hi-Vi from Parts Express. You can get the x-over diagram from Gary P. free. The combo gives you about 94-95dB SPL, really. With your LM3886 you will have an excellent system.

I would construct this combo if not for alpha 8 which arrived too late. I bought a 2nd hand PHL (92dB) instead which is equally good. I can cross it at around 200Hz and 1.7Khz even when used as an OB. Sounds good too, I have used many drivers before.

Zaph's driver is only $40 each, along with $16 titanium dome Vifa, $200 would be for bothside (2x Zaph driver + 4x Vifa tweeters). :D ... but that's for another day.

I'm sold to the idea of well-measured tranducers the likes of what Zaph and SL is doing (nonlinear/linear distortion). Eminence 8" has great reputation but I can't really see available measurements.

I just received very well-priced Seas L21RNXP from EBay and still wondering what to do with them :D.

Progress...

...OK after 3 years in the making/listening/distractions with Waveguides :rolleyes: I was prepared to find out how this configuration would sound with rigid metal cone. Went to Madisound to get Zaph ZA14, but was "out of stock"... so I ordered these instead:

Fountek FW146, Poor man's Seas Excel ? :)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

DQ25, as recommended by mr. Zaph
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Well guess what.. I checked madisound again and ZA14 is now available :confused:

Anyway the comparo would be between 2 dipole radiators with similiar configuration. One pair is soft cones (P13wh + Hivi K1s). The soft cones sounds very smooth and natural but I felt wanting more resolution at times. They are very forgiving on harsh/rock recording though. Even GnR sounded great!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.