• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

S5 K-12 Kit sounds excellent with iPod, but relatively low volume with turntable?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's a late 70's Rega Planet, not sure in the difference between magnetic or ceramic, but I'm guessing magnetic?

Here's a pic (I love this turntable):

rega_planet.jpg

Yeah I mean, it's listenable without a preamp, but it's very low.

I do not understand, it's doubtful that a turntable of that era came with a built in phono out, so you are feeding the amp in directly from the cartridge, without any RIAA de- emphasis, and You notice only a low volume and no other sonic anomalies...
How it can be possible?

dont forget that hte cart (almost certainly a moving magnet item) is designed to operate into a 47k load. In Max's K-12 amp the cart is presented with a 100k load - around twice the resistance and hence half the loading. Because of this the cart's winding will produce a higher signal voltage than its specification, and typically enough to JUST provide the amp with a signal - say around 10mV flat out. At that level you are not going to recognise the RIAA curve and its signature lack of bass - it all sounds tinny.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.