S16 - Constant Directivity Dipoles

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Dispersion pattern back/front is not symmetric (more beaming on the front) and obtaining a nice impulse is difficult.
OTOH, .....

Hi,

"(more beaming on the front)" means the front side with original phase plug? What WG (or horn) did you use? It's quite the opposite of my expectation. The dimension of the original 'throat' is smaller than the rear dome, I suppose the dispersion would be wider to the higher range...

As to the rear dome (with the cap removed), I'm thinking would it helps if we narrow the dispersion of its lower range by covering some foam around the outer area of the dome, like what EV did on the Sentry 100.

So, at least the lower range of the rear dome would not splashing everywhere, and more or less maintain a constant (and narrow) directivity.

About the front/rear level difference, would it be nice to have attenuated rear radiation, or not? I guess, the positioning of the speakers might be taken into account.

In my case, the speakers are located quite near the rear wall, thus the strong reflections within very short time. My mid horn has intrinsic lower output on the rear (big throat horn with cone driver and open back). I attenuate the rear firing tweeter WG somewhat to maintain proper tonal balance to the rear. The result is an asymmetric (and maybe quite messy) radiation front to back. The tonal balance on the rear (alone) is acceptable, at least it's quite natural sounding without obvious fault by ears.

Not perfect but overall quite pleasing. I've tried covering the back of mid horn (by several layers of felt) and muting the rear firing tweeter, but it was inferior. Even the rear radiation is attenuated and probably very questionable, it's still much better to have it -- the overall in room tonal balance and space response are obviously better, and it sounds more natural and lifelike. Simply put, it's more like the real things.

Last edited:
Hello...

Ahem CLS, I must admit that I've been missing the point with my own speakers and that in a few lines you told me a better truth.

I did serious measurements by turning the drivers only (swinging ones ;)) and it's just the opposite of my beliefs: kind of usual decay on the WG side but for the dome side, it's much worse than "splashing everywhere". As I dn't have registered Arta it's still the old style, dome waves are really a mess. I've separated some of them for clarity.

Yes, I keep the phase plugs in duty. Whitout them, the WG has no effect. I'm thinking of DIY others phase plugs, because I guess their design has been done very fast.

The WG are far too small, but they do what I need: flattening some incredible peaks and by this way dampening the impulse. Their profile is absolutely intuitive but they end with big radius (the body of the speaker).

The curves below have bee produced with all the combo: 2x2" + 1x1" in MTM. Useless I know, but I had the drivers. Equalized of course, I don't want to shock the community.

Not finished yet because the 1" is in advance on both sides (front and back) and there is only 3 ways in a DCX, so it's passive. Still big work to do :warped:

Sorry, already long, maybe I will PM you for something else totally OT.

Attachments

• WG 0° to 90°.jpg
    WG 0° to 90°.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 710
  • WG 0° vs Dome 0°.jpg
    WG 0° vs Dome 0°.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 699
  • Dome 0° to 90°.jpg
    Dome 0° to 90°.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 700
  • 45° Dome vs 45° WG.jpg
    45° Dome vs 45° WG.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 694
Sorry, I've been unclear, as always when French go to English...:rolleyes:

It's two 2" compression drivers surrounding one 1" CD, all open back, all with a (too small) WG. The result is a kind of rounded piece of wood 50 x 24 x 10 centimeters, close to 18 Kg and hanging from the ceiling, looking like MTM.

I don't say it's a good idea for normal use, but...I feel the moderator will tell me something, second time today.

You must have PM now

Hello,

Thanks to Gainphile for providing the listening position impulse responses for the dipole with horn and with rear firing tweeter.

The measurement distance was 2.8m according to him.

The obvious solution is a rear firing waveguide, however this is challenging in terms of installation and aesthethics, so I use dome tweeters instead on the back, firing out of phase. I assumed the rear radiation would be diffused enough when listened from the front.

s16rearT.png

The tweeters become omni directional as it approaches the xo frequency and influence front radiation. The level is quite low at -10 to -12 db but no excuses here they should not be there.

It is interesting to compare the above polar pattern to the Bark wavelet room responses. Bark wavelet I defined here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/164029-wtf-wavelet-transform-audio-measurements-what-how-5.html#post2317988

Here is the listening position responses for left and right speakers:

gainphile_dipole_room_left.png

gainphile_dipole_room_right.png

First thing to note: Where are the room reflections above 2kHz? :)

Does it appear evident that above 2kHz the horn starts to have the directivity and cuts the dispersion?

Or the frequency dependent room absorption eats the room signal?

By looking at the polar plot one can wonder if the mild narrowing of the dispersion is the cause, or rather if the room absorption is the dominating parameter (above 2kHz)?

Clearly the polar plot do not tell how the speaker will behave in a room :D Those with radical minded would even question the usefulness of polar plots for home audio :D In PA it can be useful when one needs to address big audience in very large angles.

Thanks again to for the IRs. The original question if a monopole CD speaker can outperform dipole in a room response (and perception wise) is ongoing :)

- Elias

Thanks Elias!

Two possibilities for the missing 2khz... (my xo is 1.5khz).

- The CD cuts room reflections (but what about rear tweeters)
- The tweeter levels were set to low

I remember that when setting the tweeter level, the dipoles when flat sounded VERY bright (tried SL's DSS, etc. too), whereas the CD speakers when flat sounded correct. All subjective.

p1rOs.png

This is from the PIR that I sent Elias, and indeed the Tweeter level was -5db by the time it reaches listening position.

btw. I have the CD speakers installed now, and will do same measurements :cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.