• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

russian6c33b

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
OTL 6C33C

My OTL running 3 year without problems.

Attachments

• evolve 3.jpg
    evolve 3.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 673
Hi Walter

What kind of sockets are you using? Have you cleaned the sockets during these 3 years? How much cathode current are you using?

I have read a lot about problems with sockets for 6C33C but I never had any problems neither in my SET amp during 5 years or in my OTL during 3.5 years.

From what I have been reading and seen on the internet the chinese sockets seem to be a lot of problem, they look like a cheap copy of the ones I am using and I think the spring that pushes the connector towards the pin is too weak or made of the wrong material.

One common mistake is to use normal Septar sockets for the 6C33C, I used those kind of sockets for YL1070 when I designed and built RF amplifiers for the military but these didn't have the springs at all and not good enough for 6C33C.

Regards Hans

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Hans,

Thank you for sharing all the usesful information.
I think you're right about the Chinese septar sockets being the main cause of the 6C33 heater reliability problem.

Walter,

Do you mind sharing the circuit diagram of your OTL amp?

Thanks and a nice weekend to all,;)

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Socket 6C33C

Hello tubetvr
often are in Russia. All bases are from russichem military transmitters best quality from the years 1960-75 likewise the tube this work with approx. 250mA at 150V. The pins I have never clean-have already the 6C41Ç = 0,5x6C33C used without problems.

greeting walter

Is this parameter that you actually measured at your socket heater pin?

When I did the actual checks on voltage drop over the pin connectors I didn't measure current at the same time but of course it doesn't really matter if it is 2.7 or 3.3 A as the voltage drop is so low that it can't effect the current, (if it was that you where thinking of?).

The voltage drop I measured was 0.02V which is only 0.02/6.3 or 0.3% and is nothing to worrry about and can not contribute to heating of the connector pins.

I have earlier separetly measured current draw on 6C33C tubes and always measured close to 3.2-3.3A, I doubt that it could be so low as 2.7A for a healthy tube with 6.3V at the pins.

If you have some reference showing current draw between 2.7 to 3.3A it would be interesting to see it.

Regards Hans

Hi,
I can't locate that reference any more.
I do remember this paramerter, because I am looking for proper transformer for this tube. I have a pair of large power transformers whcih exactly have 3.0A X4 at 6.6v. I know it should be ok if I only over draw 10% of current out of transformer for the 3.3A at 6v. I just want to make sure what you actually see there.
Most of the reference I found is 3.3a per pin. :dead:
Man, my 6c33c monoblock plan has spend me countless time and money!
Thanks for the heater current mersurement. Thanks.
Lhchen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.