Russian caps of interest

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Teflon FT-2 (200v stated maximum but can be exceeded according to users, also smaller) or FT-3 (higher voltage) are the ones to go for. Aluminium bodies. I have loads and stack them in parallel as needed. Failing that K-72 steel bodies. Sound pretty much the same.

I don't bother with any other types - love the teflons. Some like the silver mica caps, square brown things, but I prefer the teflons. I don't think the paper caps are worth bothering with.

Along with the FT-2, the K72 pops up. They seem to have teflon cases instead of alu. Any experience with those?

I wil order some FT-2/FT-3 in 100/220nF and 100nF silver micas, not that expensive. Just want to test vs the VTV and Jupiters I still have, as I will need 6 for the retrofit of my EL34 amp. Switching out the ECC83/ECC82 for some rusky single triodes along with =©= EL34s, so might as well use russian caps :)

It looked like some slippery plastic like ptfe or pu in the photos :)

Re triodes: Probably not as it is for an existing Art Audio amp, not sure the tranny will pull the extra current of two 6E5P/6E6P tubes. I have plenty of 6E5P and 6E6P-DR so I can definitely try, but rather it will be a tube pulling under 20mA like the 6S4, 6Z9, 6Z11, 6Z49 etc .

It will power my bass cabinets (Altec 515C) and seems like a nice project as this was the first tube amp I ever had (and the only one I ever bought). It's going on 22-23 years, so needs some loving like new e-caps, so might as well overhaul the thing as the inside doesn't look pretty.

quintet.jpg

The russian KBG-MN paper in oil type may be useful as a first capacitor in a CLCLC power supply. Especially if you dabble with mercury vapour rectifiers or other rectifiers with low internal resistance. I tried them as output caps in a DAC just for fun. I liked them. Smooth, but perhaps a little slow. Just what the doctor ordered if the sound is a little "nervous".

I use K73-16 in tube amps. The only case when I needed Teflon caps, was in S/H for a synthesizer. Also, Electrocube, Vishay, Epcos film caps are great. Also, Y1 and Y2 safety caps are great not only for UL, but also for audio. However, they don't cost impressive, so if you want to impress people, go for teflon, or paper in oil. :D

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Gubernators are a series of SE amps designed and built by Wavebourn, the schematics of some of which he has generously shared. I've not built an SE amp myself but I've got 3 pairs of SE transformers to use up and since I've always wanted to build a GU50 amp but am too chicken to deal with the voltages for pentode push-pull, this would seem a slightly less formidable construction. Sorry for the off topic!

I still have two of the GM100s here. Thought of making an amp for them once, but don't really need the power and don't want to kill my dog by accident :)

Have a link to the Gubernator amps?

I'll order a bunch of 100nF caps in different series, the silver mica ones look cool (never knew they went that high).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.