• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Running tubes at lower voltages

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there....from sound practises fall 1994....factors determing tube life...quote <...An unstable heater voltage is extremely detrimental to tube life.......the effect of plate overload of 50% reduces tube life by 25%.......I agree with Frank........run tubes at their bogey heater values and operate all tubes well within their tolerance ratings. Simple.

rich

Ii am running an 6ag5 penthode in triode mode on 12 volt. For as far as i can judje from my scope, there isn't that mucht distortion and it sounds very well in the lowest octaves.

I am going to wrap it up into a small package. The 6dB gain makes it perfect for adding tube sound to transistorized sets!

I'm not sure, but could it be that the enoemous distance between anode and cathode make this a good candidate. It runs cool as well in the "space grid charge" mode. reversing the grids...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.