Rotel RCD-971 Issues

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I put the whole thing back together yesterday without cleaning or lubing the gears and now it seems to work perfectly! No grinding, skipping, and random play is behaving like it should. Tipping it upside down to put the screws back in must have done the trick. If is starts acting up again I'll just shake the box!

I'm going to order the replacement OEM KSM213CCM and keep it on the shelf until its needed.

Thanks!

Edit: I just noticed the difference between the KSM213CCM and the KSL2130. The KSL is the whole transport assembly of which the KSM is one part of.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Take the top off, locate the laser pickup and carefully clean the objective lens. Use a cotton bud and I guess something like a camera lens cleaning fluid.

I use Sony lens cleaning fluid. ISO is mentioned by many... Sony expressly warned against it years ago as it damages the coating on some lenses. Don't use glass cleaner (ammonia).

Glass of water with a single drop of detergent mixed in is OK.

The lens should look clean and bright if viewed with a bright torch.

Its normal pickup and good servosystem.
Old pickup KSS-213С have lense whis blu optical plases.
Chinamade KSS-213С have simple lenz(like botle Koka-Kola).
I replace old lense(whis slade and treking coil) for new pickup – its better.
Flat casle mast be demphing.

Attachments

• KSS-213C.jpg
    KSS-213C.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 167
Klakk,
With the top off, at night with lights off. Eject and then close the draw with no disk. From the side and more than 1 metre away look at the lens do you see a faint red glow? does the lens move up and down trying to focus? Most importantly do not look down into the lens as this will damage your eyesight permanently.
If you get a faint red glow the laser is OK if the focus works well that is another thing you do not need to worry about. If it doesn't glow then check for dry joints, broken cables and voltages at the test points.
That is all I know so far on the subject. Do not look directly into the laser.
Also something to check is the micro switches or optical switches which tell the player when the draw is in or out. Does the cd spin when you put it in before you hit play?
Finally do a search in the forum for laser faults there are many people who are experts on them and the answer maybe there.
Good luck.
Please post a reply when you fix it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.