Rotel RB980BX power amp hum and "pop"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just plugged in for the first time a Rotel RB980BX power amp that I bought off ebay and there is a hum in both speakers (this is with preamp connected to power amp but the preamp not turned on). Its louder in the left speaker and when I pull out the interconnects from the preamp (which has its power off) the hum gets louder. The Rotel only has a 2 pin AC plug. Does this sound like failed power supply caps? Is there an easy way to test the caps without complex equipment? (I only have a mulimeter). Why do the interconnects affect the level of the hum?

Also, there is a loud "pop" when I switch the power amp off! The amp has a delayed power on so I didnt think it would pop on switch off. Would cleaning fix this or has a part failed?

Seller said the amp was in excellent working order so has misrepresented it. Like to know what I'm up for before I contact him. I swear this is the last time I buy something off ebay without hearing it! Thanks.

well when I touch the pos and neg probes of the meter together I get 0.4 ohms. Then when I connect the outer phono socket and the neg speaker post I get 0.5 ohms, so I guess the real value here is 0.1 ohms. Also its strange but I sometimes get continuity between the outside of the right phono socket and the POSITIVE right speaker post, but its not always - its intermittant! That seems weird. There shouldnt be any continuity there should there? (its now happening with the left too)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.