Roon alternative?

Buyer beware. If you are considering roon, know that it will no longer allow you to access your bought and paid for local music files without an Internet connection. This “improvement” came about with version 2.0. During a recent Internet outage my $50,000 plus audio system became a worthless steaming pile of crap. With the Internet down, I could not even listen to my local files.

Maybe you are OK with allowing an outside company to hold your local files and expensive audio gear hostage. I’m not. Not even for a moment.
just my humble opinion

hoping someone can direct me to a program or method by which I can access my local music files without an Internet connection

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: 2 users
Roon has been degrading for a long time. If we compare its old versions and what is now - the comparison is not in favor of new versions, unfortunately. How to find old versions of Roon and how to put them on can be found on the Internet with due diligence. The last good sounding one was Roon1.5

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for all the input. I will investigate further. Meanwhile, is it possible to stream quality Hi-Rez using a Qobus or tidal app on a Smart phone directly into a dac? Aside from the cataloging, search, sorting and metadata, would I lose anything In sound quality?

I also use Roon but have a strong love/hate relationship with it. I mainly use it as an alternative interface for Tidal. For my own local files I have always been a big fan of MP3Toys but that one has some broken functionality since it has not been updated in eight years or so but is is lightning fast compared to Roon and it just always works, something I can not say about Roon. That will work fine one day and painstakingly slow or not at all the other day. J.river is about the worst of the worst imho, it looks like a 90’s windows media player, completely old fashioned in looks and user experience. Volumio, the same, 90’s media player software, not my cup of tea. Unfortunatly there isn’t much out there. Development is terribly slow, especially the streaming services still provide crappy apps. So Roon it is, but not out of love, it’s just that there is no real alternative.

Last edited: