Rohde & Schwarz UPL few questions

Hello, im considering buying R&S UPL and have few questions

1. How to examine the unit condition? Few of the units on ebay are with actuall R&S calibration, it may be sign of good condition?
2. Its possible to decode production year from serial number? Or it doesnt metter if its few years older or newer?
The unit im looking on is the newer version with 6 digital serial number (without "/") but exact production year is unknown and R&S doesnt want to tell anything about it, just said everything is discontinued and cant provide any support anymore
3. If the LCD backlight light like new it may be sign of little power on time? From what I know CCFL were not replaced on the unit i want to buy
4. The unit has replaced battery fans and disk to ssd

Or maybe better choice would be Audio Precision ATS-2
Analyzer will be daily used during audio repair

Last edited:
Have you seen this thread: https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/rohde-schwarz-r-s-upl-audio-analyzer-renovation.353461/

Does the UPL have the B1 (low THD oscillator)? Even without it, the UPL is a far more capable machine than the ATS-2. Your greatest concern is servicing. I'm not sure if R+S still service them (I have a UPV that needs a service and am worried that they will stop servicing them soon!!).

If you don't have the B1, get one of Viktor's oscillators. I haven't used the UPL, but I believe the analogue side is as good as a UPV. In which case, the input will be good for -115dBV THD+N @ 2VRMS (UPV gives -113 from B1, but if I feed it with the SYS-2722 I can get -115).

You might want to look into the QA403 if you need it as a tool for daily use. I use the UPV daily, but unless you get a good one, you could be looking at a lot of work to get it good - see above thread ^ QA403 is hard to get and not as professionally made as an R+S or AP, but it will be new!