Roender's FC-100 prototype and builder's thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am currently going on and integrate a source selection / volume attenuation into my FC-100 case.

The selector/attenuator is based on BurrBrowns (TI) PGA2311 - chip, which is controlled by a PIC 16F4550 µProcessor.
I prefer this solution to an ALPS-DualPotentiometer, to the Lightspeed-Attenuator, ..., and:
everything is controlled remotely by means of Infrared.

It's your amp, but I would prefer keeping RF generators outside of my amp.

I "married" the analog and digital sections of my FC-100 build this morning.
Everything works as designed - and can be controlled completely by means of infrared from my armchair.

I will go on and order some ALU-plates and - brackets to encapsulate the transformers and to have a base for the "second-floor digital PCBs".

@POOGE: I talked to the one, who designed the digital PCBs (German electronic engineer) and told him about my worries concerning RF-emission.
His answer: "Don't worry at all."

@Joseph: Sir, :), I am currently busy doing a group-buy for my SYMASYM-PCBs.
Maybe that I have to translate the builder's manual into English, which will take me a lot of time.
Currently I have no time to start a second round of group-buy for the FC-100, allthough the FC-100 is worth is, definitely! Maybe later!

Best regards - Rudi

Attachments

• FC-100 009.jpg
    FC-100 009.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 889
Last edited:
@Greenm01, DADOD,

Gentlemen: I appreciate your interest in the progress of my FC-100 build very much.
From all I heared from those ones, who have already finished their FC-100 build, this is definitely a 1st - class amplifier.
You are right with this, Greenm01.

But I do not recommend you , to etch the PCBs by yourself.
My layout is double-sided with plated-through holes and VIAs, to guarantee short tracks and minimal crosstalk, and I think that it is too hard
to etch without professional equipment.
I will send you, Greenm01, PDF-files of the top- and bottom-layer of my layout, if you want to etch it by yourself nevertheless.

@DADOD: the thermal compensation, which uses 5 integrated ThermalTrak diodes of the NJL0 transistors, is a proven design.
Please refer to "Douglas Self, Audio Power Amplifier Design Handbook, 5th Edition, Figure 15.27" for further analysis.

As I have told you in my previous post, I am currently too busy with another project to open a new round of group-buy for the FC-100.
I have put down your names into the interested party-list and will inform you both, when I start a new round.

I am sure that you will be very happy with the FC-100.

Best regards - Rudi_Ratlos

Thermaltrak+TMC

@Rudi_Ratlos

Your PCB design looks very nice and I'm sure that the FC-100 sounds excellent.

Alternatively, Dadod's Thermaltrak amplifier is available with a single side PCB that may be etched (or made with a home CNC machine) @ home for those who're interested in building a proven amplifier in the near term. I've etched a few PCBs using the photo-resist method and they come out wonderfully.

It's unfortunate that the FC-100 PCB is not available for everyone to build at their leisure. In the future if someone wants to build the amplifier outside of a group buy they will be out of luck. The advantage of a single side board is that one may etch the board themselves without having to spend an excessive amount on PCB manufacturing, or be lucky enough to be included in a group buy.

Please do not include me in the FC-100 group buy. I'm very happy with my hand crafted Thermaltrak+TMC amp :) The sonics are outstanding and if I ever need another Class AB amp I will definitely build another one.

@Greenm01, you are missing a unique chance, if you do not build the FC-100.
But please: this is the "Roender's FC-100 prototype and builder's thread". Stop talking / posting about your favourite DIY-amplifier,
which seems not to be the FC-100.

Dear FC-100 friends,

since yesterday I have been listening to my FC-100 build.
Let me give you my first listening impressions.

As source I am using a CD-Player Technics SL-PG470A; currently I have connected a pair of Behringer B 2031P Truth speakers.

I will not use any stereotyped phrases like: "deep, black bass, beautiful trebble, ...".
I want to describe the character of the FC-100 (as I hear it) by comparing its sound to how a man walks.

I have a chip-amplifier. It plays like: slow, sometimes stumbling, ..., well: finally it reaches the end of a music track. Is this, how an old man walks?

My SYMASYM: very fast, it seems to run through a piece of music, you feel the efforts it undertakes to do it right, you hear the sweat,
running down its face, it is doing its best, which is very good!
I see a man, middle-aged, in good shape.

Then the FC-100: you see a youth in front of you, having all the strength of the world, walking with a sexy kind of leisure,
swaying with his hips, tossing his hair, flirting with you, reproducing the music "by the way", "like a duck takes to water".
(I found this phrase in my dictionary. Is it well known?).

I was and still am very impressed by the "easy-going" way, with which the FC-100 plays my music. This is, what I have been looking for.
By the way: the FC-100's sonics are the best that you can imagine.

P.S. I will upgrade my speakers and use another source soon.

Attachments

• FC-100 017.jpg
    FC-100 017.jpg
    342.1 KB · Views: 813
Last edited:
@Rudi_Ratlos

Your PCB design looks very nice and I'm sure that the FC-100 sounds excellent.

Alternatively, Dadod's Thermaltrak amplifier is available with a single side PCB that may be etched (or made with a home CNC machine) @ home for those who're interested in building a proven amplifier in the near term. I've etched a few PCBs using the photo-resist method and they come out wonderfully.

It's unfortunate that the FC-100 PCB is not available for everyone to build at their leisure. In the future if someone wants to build the amplifier outside of a group buy they will be out of luck. The advantage of a single side board is that one may etch the board themselves without having to spend an excessive amount on PCB manufacturing, or be lucky enough to be included in a group buy.

Please do not include me in the FC-100 group buy. I'm very happy with my hand crafted Thermaltrak+TMC amp :) The sonics are outstanding and if I ever need another Class AB amp I will definitely build another one.

useless pointless post. Are you making commercials for other amplifiers in this thread? This is not welcome, hence go back to your original threads and post there. In few words, F * * K OFF ... We don't want troubles...

Last edited:
disgraceful

Metal, calm down, please! This is not my way to talk to the audience.

Wow, that previous post was completely uncalled for and disgraceful. @metal should be ashamed of herself. I thought this was a friendly discussion. Trolls only serve to damage the DIY community and drive newcomers away.

Rudi I appreciate your very nice running metaphor. Sorry, but I can't resist (this will be my last post on the subject in this thread): the Thermaltrak+TMC amp is like a world record holding Kenyan marathon runner :)

Happy DIYing!

Gentlemen,

I am very happy that this small interruption could be settled gracefully.

To DESIGN, to LAYOUT, to DIY: this is a passion, and everybody, who contributes to this evolution, gives away a part of his heart with his efforts.

I am "an old man", and my passion is no longer as distinct as yours.

I am a "Diplomat", and to keep everybody happy, I just opened th 2nd round of group-buy for the FC-100.

Please refer to this thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/209075-roenders-fc-100-rev-1-group-buy-18.html#post3153034 Post: #171

Mr. Rudi And Mr.Metal,,You are both very kind and great gentlemen of the highest caliber
I have a great deal of respect for all of the work you both have done..It,s great you gentlemen can keep the sprirt of DIY going with your fansatic work. Keep it up Please. I look forward to keep building everything you gentlemen come up with. It,s always a work of art. Evette

RMI-FC100 is a really nice amp. I don't say that this is the best sounding amp ever because this is subjective. When i started to build it i did not expect so much from this amp (evil prejudice). I built it hooked it up and what i only can say about it i can't stop to listen to the music through this amp. Again this is of course subjective. Thanks again for Rudi,Metal and all the ones who contributed to this project and let's not forget about the man who shared his efforts, MIHAI!

zsaudio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.