ROE Capacitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The main reason to parallel small electrolytic capacitors instead of one biggy.

Which one mainly does with class AB power amps, or e.g. preamps.
In class A power amps, big cans are preferable, as total uF value is the primary target (and large ones have a better/higher uF/volume ratio)

(e.g. Classé, Sphinx, AVM, Swiss Physics, Orpheus)

Hoi Jacco!

It's for the use in an Integrated amplifier Yamaha, rated 85Wrms.

I have already decided to replace the 2 main big cans of the old 12,000uF 63V with fresh new 4x 3300uF 100V Nippon Chemi-com high ripple current, having a total of 13,200uF 100V higher ripple current reservoir capacitance per rail. It will make things much easier, better and faster for the signal path.

Other than that, it's much cheaper than buy 2 cans of 15,000uF and much efficient.

Regards to all!

Last edited:
It gets even better.

$/(uF x Vrated) is somewhat of a constant (margin) for a brand series.
Buying 1 or 100 differs by over a third in price/pc.

A DIY who builds a couple of power amps may be cheaper off to get 100 of 2200uF caps, than 10 of the same type in a 22.000uF value.

(back in the '80s, I calculated every imaginable ratio number of just about every amp part. call me a numbers freak)

It gets even better.

$/(uF x Vrated) is somewhat of a constant (margin) for a brand series.
Buying 1 or 100 differs by over a third in price/pc.

A DIY who builds a couple of power amps may be cheaper off to get 100 of 2200uF caps, than 10 of the same type in a 22.000uF value.

(back in the '80s, I calculated every imaginable ratio number of just about every amp part. call me a numbers freak)

Something in Europe can be found here:
Roederstein :: Electrolytics :: Capacitors :: Passive Components :: Electronic Parts :: Banzai Music GmbH

And for Jacco, we now have also this supplier in Amsterdam:
EOO - ElectronicaOnderdelenOnline

Hi Mikkel,

I think they call this type as "ROE Bakelite" capacitor, don't know why. Afaik, Mission Cyrus amplifier used this type and often the first thing to replace when doing servicing.

Regards,
Heru

Be careful with those - they often don't last long. They are in plastic cans, and are usually orange or dark red (photo attached). Some years ago the first job when you got a B&O L or LX TV in for service, was to replace all of them ;)

Frolyt in East Germany made a similar type in white plastic cans - they are terrible also.

Other ROE or Frolyt caps are generally fine - just watch out for the plastic versions.

Just in case other people read through this revived old thread...

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Have to second that.
B&O used to "fill" their 70´s & 80´s gear with those dark red ROE ´lytics. They dried out very fast. When you look closely, you´ll se the top of the can is about to fall off = cracked all the way around. We had a saying in most of the workshops: If you see them, change them :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.